What is the pistol?

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
Hey guys

A pic of a soldier from 2 CMR in the Boer War. What is his pistol?

2CMRTroop1900.jpg
 
Hard to tell with the picture but I could almost imagine the revolver being a Webley MK1 with it's back starp hump.

But with the close up picture I found on the victorian wars forum it certainly looks like a break top revolver with many features consistent with the appearance of a S&W 38 cal gun, too small for a large cal model 3

file.php
 
yup I vote S&W too.

the lack of holster could be explained by the fact he's wearin spurs and is likely a horse soldier who carried his handgun in a pommel holster...
just a guess tho cuzz I don't know how they decked out in that era...
 
Last edited:
One of the things I always am trying to figure out is what pistol the Strathcona's carried? They were apparently outfitted differently then the others and had a "colt" revolver which I thought I had headr was in 44.

For the rest of the guys I believe they went with either an 1878 Colt Double Action or Colt New Service (for the later contingents) both in .45
 
Smith & Wesson DA 3rd Model revolver chambered in .38 S&W, serial no. 176457 and the owner last passed gas in 1917 :p

soczf4y5qqxol0v3a0z.jpg


Is that a winner, winner, chicken dinner? I love this game, lets do another!
 
From my understanding the only sidearm that 2CMR packed was the 1878 Colt DA. Officers would have carried them in a closed flap type holster and normal troops would have carried the revolver in an open top type holster.

As for the hammer on the one in the picture, it's not broken, those old H&R's had really weird looking hammers. Also it could be at "half ####" type of thing. When on a horse you either had the hammer fully down on an empty cylinder or if you needed a full compliment of rounds then you would half #### the gun (at least how my great grandfather did it).

So it's either a prop from the photo company or it's a gun he personally brought along or took off someone. Would explain the lack of a Holster.

My guess is a .38 Caliber H&R

42.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom