What is your go anywhere do anything rifle?

What a super tough, versatile optic though...and relatively light/compact for that type!

There may be better glass visually but not much would ever outlast and outperform it
This may be a bit nerdy... But here we go...

I've spent a fair few dollars on the "Cooper Scout" concept and tried to realize his vision of a light, fast-handling rifle that could engage both 2- and 4-legged adversaries. (His whole notion of a "scout" was based on a pre-American Revolution idea of a "scout." The Steyr Scout still remains the most accurate, fast-handling rifle I've ever fired. DMRs in the Serbian/Croatian conflict operated in "scout" capacity with a Steyr Scout and the Leupold 2.5X IER optic. That has to be some form of vindication for Cooper's "archaic" concept.

I think the ultimate realization of the optical platform for a "Scout' is a 1-8X 30mm tube that can translate between the "close-in" encounter (for man or beast) and longer-range engagements. I think Cooper would be impressed by the current set of standard eye-relief scopes that can engage close targets and those at distance with minimal sacrifice to the "field-of-view" offered by IER scopes.

I met him on two occasions. He was an impressive guy. The world is poorer for his passing. He didn't get everything right, but he was right more often than wrong. Few people I know can say that.
 
This may be a bit nerdy... But here we go...

I've spent a fair few dollars on the "Cooper Scout" concept and tried to realize his vision of a light, fast-handling rifle that could engage both 2- and 4-legged adversaries. (His whole notion of a "scout" was based on a pre-American Revolution idea of a "scout." The Steyr Scout still remains the most accurate, fast-handling rifle I've ever fired. DMRs in the Serbian/Croatian conflict operated in "scout" capacity with a Steyr Scout and the Leupold 2.5X IER optic. That has to be some form of vindication for Cooper's "archaic" concept.

I think the ultimate realization of the optical platform for a "Scout' is a 1-8X 30mm tube that can translate between the "close-in" encounter (for man or beast) and longer-range engagements. I think Cooper would be impressed by the current set of standard eye-relief scopes that can engage close targets and those at distance with minimal sacrifice to the "field-of-view" offered by IER scopes.

I met him on two occasions. He was an impressive guy. The world is poorer for his passing. He didn't get everything right, but he was right more often than wrong. Few people I know can say that.

If we can't be gun nerds, whats this world coming to? lol

Happy you got to meet him and I agree with all of the above.

In his day, they didn't have the impressive variable powered scopes we do now, over which a "scout" offers no advantage and only drawbacks. Was very much a product of its time eh.

The "308 or similar, practical hunting/defense carbine" is a cool concept, and theres a lot of other chamberings these days that would also do the job very well, at least! Some of em a little light for the "hunt anything" nature of this thread, and not legal, but doesn't mean they wouldn't work in a pinch.

Mind you, wow I wish we could just have an AR platform but wish in one hand and you-know-what in the other....
 
This may be a bit nerdy... But here we go...

I've spent a fair few dollars on the "Cooper Scout" concept and tried to realize his vision of a light, fast-handling rifle that could engage both 2- and 4-legged adversaries. (His whole notion of a "scout" was based on a pre-American Revolution idea of a "scout." The Steyr Scout still remains the most accurate, fast-handling rifle I've ever fired. DMRs in the Serbian/Croatian conflict operated in "scout" capacity with a Steyr Scout and the Leupold 2.5X IER optic. That has to be some form of vindication for Cooper's "archaic" concept.

I think the ultimate realization of the optical platform for a "Scout' is a 1-8X 30mm tube that can translate between the "close-in" encounter (for man or beast) and longer-range engagements. I think Cooper would be impressed by the current set of standard eye-relief scopes that can engage close targets and those at distance with minimal sacrifice to the "field-of-view" offered by IER scopes.

I met him on two occasions. He was an impressive guy. The world is poorer for his passing. He didn't get everything right, but he was right more often than wrong. Few people I know can say that.
i think you are confusing the Kosovo war with KLA or UCK using 30 to 50 of them against the serbs and JNA. the wars between croats and serbs were over when the scout was released but those wars were confusing for a lot of people anyway.
 
My go "anywhere" do "anything" rifle is the following - I'm "cheating" with my -
Sauer 202, synthetic stock, rust proof Ilaflon coated action and barrels, with .25-06, 7x64, 30-06, and 9.3x62 barrels and matching appropriate QD mounted variable power, illuminated reticle scopes. Pretty sure I can do it all with that set up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
i think you are confusing the Kosovo war with KLA or UCK using 30 to 50 of them against the serbs and JNA. the wars between croats and serbs were over when the scout was released but those wars were confusing for a lot of people anyway.
Appreciate the correction. For future reference, what should I refer to this conflict as?

This is one of the posts I was referencing with respect to the Steyr Scout being used in “Kosovo”

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/steyr-scout-in-combat.241933/

There are others. Not trying to be pedantic, just trying to be accurate for future discussions.

Thanks in advance.
 
ok i will try to explain you a little of that: but again it is complicated even for from there

26 june 1991 to 25 october 1991 slovenia vs yugoslav federations aka serbs, bosnians, macedonia kosovo, montenegro (croats promised to protect slovenija but seems the promise was lost lol and did not intervene) ... ended the 7th of july 1991 with brioni agreement/negociation were slovenija and croatia promised to withdraw/stop talk about separations for 3 months and jna (federal army left slovenia.
Ten-Day War:
27 June – 7 July 1991
(1 week and 3 days)

the ones between croatia and serbians started on may 2nd 1991 (after the knin log war/revolution since 1990) after operation storm in july and august 1995 where croatia recovered +-18% of their lost territories including krajina so at the end of summer 1995 that one is over.
Croatian War of Independence:
1 March 1991 – 12 November 1995
(4 years, 7 months, 1 week and 5 days)

croats, serbs and bosnians (catholics, orthodox and muslims from bosnia)
Bosnian War:
6 April 1992 – 14 December 1995
(3 years, 8 months, 1 week and 6 days)

Insurgency in Kosovo:
27 May 1995 – 27 February 1998
(2 years and 9 months)

Kosovo War: the one that is about the scout steyr rifle ... between serbs and kosovars (Jna against KLA or UCK)
28 February 1998 – 11 June 1999
(1 year, 3 months and 2 weeks)

Insurgency in the Preševo Valley:
12 June 1999 – 1 June 2001[5]
(1 year, 11 months, 2 weeks and 6 days)

Insurgency in Macedonia:
22 January – 13 August 2001
(6 months, 3 weeks and 1 day)

hope this is a little more clearer ... sorry for the out of topic.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
Back
Top Bottom