What is your go anywhere do anything rifle?

View attachment 1203073
This will be my first season packing it but here is my idea of the answer to that question. Pre 64 model 70, IBI 20” carbon barrel, chambered in 338-06AI. It’s capable of tackling anything and fairly mild on recoil. Shooting a 265 grain bullet it isn’t the fastest thing around but it’s in the same territory as the Whelen or the 9.3 up close and still has the legs to reach out as far as one really needs to in the field.
this is one cool gorgeous build!
 
Ive shot matches with my 16" 308 '(not the best) but from a light packer case and point it worked great.
tapped out on many stages 900 yards, and just laughed cause this wasnt what it was meant to do.
recently switched to a 18" proof barrel over factory 16"
but with the 16" Ive taken 3 moose 350-420yards with factory 175 federal terminal ascent.
Im going full retard this year however new barrel, doing 130gr barnes
hoping to see 2900fps but well see.
had 4-16 aacr on it, a 1-8 S&BpmII then switched and did matches with the 2.5-20 NF currently sits with the the new nx6 2-12
 

Attachments

  • 1d2bc54e-a68d-4cad-9112-9c6f987a86cc.png
    1d2bc54e-a68d-4cad-9112-9c6f987a86cc.png
    360.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2361c15b-5dea-49a6-94ad-10b4b224a7c2.png
    2361c15b-5dea-49a6-94ad-10b4b224a7c2.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 47138617-799b-453f-adc0-69bab40b2361.png
    47138617-799b-453f-adc0-69bab40b2361.png
    457.8 KB · Views: 48
  • d0f93437-0fad-4130-9eee-f72460c1a77d.png
    d0f93437-0fad-4130-9eee-f72460c1a77d.png
    515 KB · Views: 52
Several decades ago, when I was a young man, I acquired a very nice 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Shoenauer that had a
bulge right at the muzzle. I carefully removed 2" from the end of that barrel, and was very gratified to see it
maintain about 1.25 moa with the old "Dominion" 160 grain RNSP [Box said 2160 fps]
I took a very respectable muley buck with that rifle and ammo. Dressed over 200 lbs. The bullet entered his chest
and exited, leaving a twoony size hole. Very effective round.
I would not hesitate to hunt anything in BC with one.
 
Several decades ago, when I was a young man, I acquired a very nice 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Shoenauer that had a
bulge right at the muzzle. I carefully removed 2" from the end of that barrel, and was very gratified to see it
maintain about 1.25 moa with the old "Dominion" 160 grain RNSP [Box said 2160 fps]
I took a very respectable muley buck with that rifle and ammo. Dressed over 200 lbs. The bullet entered his chest
and exited, leaving a twoony size hole. Very effective round.
I would not hesitate to hunt anything in BC with one.
I love it but I admit I only carry it on the dry days........
 
Ive shot matches with my 16" 308 '(not the best) but from a light packer case and point it worked great.
tapped out on many stages 900 yards, and just laughed cause this wasnt what it was meant to do.
recently switched to a 18" proof barrel over factory 16"
but with the 16" Ive taken 3 moose 350-420yards with factory 175 federal terminal ascent.
Im going full retard this year however new barrel, doing 130gr barnes
hoping to see 2900fps but well see.
had 4-16 aacr on it, a 1-8 S&BpmII then switched and did matches with the 2.5-20 NF currently sits with the the new nx6 2-12
how do you like the new nx6?
 
Winchester 94AE, with fixed 4x Weaver scope. Easy to carry. Knocked down both black bears and deer with it, and will take it out for a moose draw next year.

XvB75sJl.jpg
 
how do you like the new nx6?
I love it, I know the reticle will not be for everyone.. It is a bit bulky IMO, on max 12 power its not prs style thin its a bit big. However wouldnt be mad using it on a competition out to say 800 yards.
this is kinda designed and lives home on a gas gun or hunting rifle with <800 yards, I think its checked all the boxes ive asked for over the years.
on the 2x for closer game (not really lpvo ish) I think it does a well enough job with the reticle where if you had to
use it on a 30 yard charging animal its great for what it is.

I will say this I sold my 2.5-20nx8 to fund this, and I have zero regrets. I had a huge love for the nx8 2.5-20 but found getting behind it wasnt
that easy for my eyes anyways. Still a wicked scope but the age old more magnifaction is better just messed with me and I couldnt use it as well as others.

the new turret system with the ease of use adjustment is brilliant, and yes NF has been so behind as many others have had tooless turrets for some time.
 
I love it, I know the reticle will not be for everyone.. It is a bit bulky IMO, on max 12 power its not prs style thin its a bit big. However wouldnt be mad using it on a competition out to say 800 yards.
this is kinda designed and lives home on a gas gun or hunting rifle with <800 yards, I think its checked all the boxes ive asked for over the years.
on the 2x for closer game (not really lpvo ish) I think it does a well enough job with the reticle where if you had to
use it on a 30 yard charging animal its great for what it is.

I will say this I sold my 2.5-20nx8 to fund this, and I have zero regrets. I had a huge love for the nx8 2.5-20 but found getting behind it wasnt
that easy for my eyes anyways. Still a wicked scope but the age old more magnifaction is better just messed with me and I couldnt use it as well as others.

the new turret system with the ease of use adjustment is brilliant, and yes NF has been so behind as many others have had tooless turrets for some time.
thank you for your answer.
 
Several decades ago, when I was a young man, I acquired a very nice 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Shoenauer that had a
bulge right at the muzzle. I carefully removed 2" from the end of that barrel, and was very gratified to see it
maintain about 1.25 moa with the old "Dominion" 160 grain RNSP [Box said 2160 fps]
I took a very respectable muley buck with that rifle and ammo. Dressed over 200 lbs. The bullet entered his chest
and exited, leaving a twoony size hole. Very effective round.
I would not hesitate to hunt anything in BC with one.
the rifle for chamois in the old day ...
 
Hmmmm I have a few that would make the cut, actually all my big game rifles would actually make the cut but my new to me custom 30-06 built on a Husqvarna 98 with a 1.5-4x Pecar scope in claw mounts would be one, it shoots 190gn Speer impact at like 2700fps+ and is really accurate like 1”@100m groups great two stage trigger 14.5” length of pull, less than 8lbs ready to go. It’s used enough that I don’t need to worry about weather conditions.
View attachment 1203277View attachment 1203280
I have my 9.3x62 built on a cz550 that is a pretty awesome rifle too. There is more recoil and is a bit heavier. It would have to be one of those two, even if I really like others I have like my Merkel k5 in 30-06 or my Danzig Mauser 98 in 8x57 with double set triggers is real sweet too!! Damn it’s too hard 🤷🏼‍♂️
With the rifle above I got this yesterday
IMG_0843.jpeg
IMG_0858.jpeg
I was using a 190gn Speer impact… I had great expectations for that bullet but I’m not sure I will use it again, made a big mess, I found the bullet or what was left of it so I need to weigh it and see how much weight it lost…
 
Last edited:
With the rifle above I got this yesterday
View attachment 1210879
View attachment 1210878
I was using a 190gn Speer impact… I had great expectations for that bullet but I’m not sure I will use it again, made a big mess, I found the bullet or what was left of it so I need to weigh it and see how much weight it lost…
Nice bull DGY! Congratulations.

Not gonna lie I’m more than a little jealous. I’ve always wanted to hunt moose from a canoe
 
With the rifle above I got this yesterday
View attachment 1210879
View attachment 1210878
I was using a 190gn Speer impact… I had great expectations for that bullet but I’m not sure I will use it again, made a big mess, I found the bullet or what was left of it so I need to weigh it and see how much weight it lost…
So jealous.. What a great rifle. If you want better performance from a cup and core it needs to be bonded IMHO. Even then a bone strike can create a detonation at close range. Unfortunately that rifle can't shoot coppers of the same weight. Copper is the new thing I know.. but man it's cool when you see it perform.. Seriously so jealous.. Would have been ecstatic to help with that hunt.. Love my canoe trips.. Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom