What is your go anywhere do anything rifle?

I guess I'm the boring one here.
My do it all rifle is my Henry 30-30.
125gr for yotes, 150 barnes or 170 hornady for deer
190gr barnes at 2100 will confidently drop a moose or bear if needed
I have plenty of other rifles but if I was to choose one to cover it all, I go with the classic 30-30.
Good in the brush and still knocks em down at 200.
 
well, I have seen trajectory changes for sure.
And Barnes bullets really hold together.
But 90 degrees nearly defies physics. My Barnes bullets don't even deflect 90 degrees on hanging AR500. The deformation of a bullet that turned 90 degrees would be extreme!
I think more often, the angle of the animal is different than perceived so the directional change seems more extreme.

Regardless, I can't see a Scapula turning a bullet that hard, just look at how it's built, so maybe the spine behind it?
Then how do we get to the "top of the" heart?
The trajectory from the scapula to the heart is nearly straight down.
Coming from directly above, how de we hit only the top, and then turn again to break a couple ribs and not the sternum?

anyway......
Like every other tall tale told in a pub, the polite thing to do is just say "wow, cool!"

So,

Wow, Cool!
A few years back my hunting partner had a TTSX hit directly broadside on a white tail , take a left turn and come out the left ham.
Not too many years back I had a bullet break up on a sternum on a slight quartering to shot. Half of it traveled between the hide and exited the right side breaking the hock. The other half lodged in the left shoulder.
It happens whether or not you think it's true.
Those are just two examples of several I have seen in over 60 years of hunting .
BTW I don't "tell stories in the pub" and resent the implication .

Cat
 
Last edited:
A few years back my hunti g partner had a TTSX hit directly broadside on a white tail , take a left turn and come out the left ham.
Not too many years back I had a bullet break up on a sternum on a slight quartering to shot. Half of it traveled between the hide and exited the right side breaking the hock. The other half lodged in the left shoulder.
It happens whether or not you think it's true.
Those are just two examples of several I have seen in over 60 years of hunting .
Cat
It happened to me on my last moose, shot him at 280m it was a running shot quartering away, first shot hit him square and when I saw he tried to get up I fired an other one.
When we did the butchering we found a bullet in the hind quarter so I thought I had shot him in the ass on the second shot, but no entry hole…
 
well, I have seen trajectory changes for sure.
And Barnes bullets really hold together.
But 90 degrees nearly defies physics. My Barnes bullets don't even deflect 90 degrees on hanging AR500. The deformation of a bullet that turned 90 degrees would be extreme!
I think more often, the angle of the animal is different than perceived so the directional change seems more extreme.

Regardless, I can't see a Scapula turning a bullet that hard, just look at how it's built, so maybe the spine behind it?
Then how do we get to the "top of the" heart?
The trajectory from the scapula to the heart is nearly straight down.
Coming from directly above, how de we hit only the top, and then turn again to break a couple ribs and not the sternum?

anyway......
Like every other tall tale told in a pub, the polite thing to do is just say "wow, cool!"

So,

Wow, Cool!
Yes, while hunting mtn goat, I had a bullet turn almost 90, maybe 80. My guess is it deflected off the rock face after passing through the goat. (300 WM, Barnes TTSX)
How do I know where it ended up? Because after receiving a complaint, a conservation officer with a metal detector found the bullet (or claimed he did). He claimed I was shooting towards a small town.
I adamantly denied it and referenced MythBusters who proved bullets deflect at 90° off hard surfaces (I think it was steel). He accepted that as plausible and enough defense.
But deflecting off scapula is hard to imagine!!
"Wow, cool!" 😉
 
A few years back my hunting partner had a TTSX hit directly broadside on a white tail , take a left turn and come out the left ham.
Not too many years back I had a bullet break up on a sternum on a slight quartering to shot. Half of it traveled between the hide and exited the right side breaking the hock. The other half lodged in the left shoulder.
It happens whether or not you think it's true.
Those are just two examples of several I have seen in over 60 years of hunting .
BTW I don't "tell stories in the pub" and resent the implication .

Cat
I dont think i implied that you did.
 
I have many rifles however, no go anywhere firearm for big game. I would use my 6mm Remington and 240 Weatherby for pronghorn antelope. Anything from whitetail to moose, my 25-06 Remington, up-to the 9.3x74R.
 
These are not " pub stories" both times the people I was hunting with are also members here.
Cat
sure i hear you.
but again, i never said or implied that you were telling pub stories.
I'm sure you and everyone you know never exagerate.

I implied that "Gunnutz" was taking liberties with hist tale, not to mention physics.
It's not personal, just a gentle chiding for stretching the truth.

And They reacted like every BullSh#tter does when challenged. With exaggerated sensitivity and self righteousness.

Surprise surprise.
 
sure i hear you.
but again, i never said or implied that you were telling pub stories.
I'm sure you and everyone you know never exagerate.

I implied that "Gunnutz" was taking liberties with hist tale, not to mention physics.
It's not personal, just a gentle chiding for stretching the truth.

And They reacted like every BullSh#tter does when challenged. With exaggerated sensitivity and self righteousness.

Surprise surprise.
I told you what happened. Punched through the scapula, took out the top of the heart and broke a couple ribs on the far side.

Believe it or not.

I’m not in the habit of lying and it does pi$$ me off when someone calls me one. Especially when they hide behind the internet to do it , maybe it makes them feel important. To me rude and chicken $hit who reacted like many other know it all…..

You called someone a liar, while hiding behind a keyboard.

You want to doubt someone, that’s fine. You call someone a liar publicly…….chicken $hit

Take that any way you want
 
I told you what happened. Punched through the scapula, took out the top of the heart and broke a couple ribs on the far side.

Believe it or not.

I’m not in the habit of lying and it does pi$$ me off when someone calls me one. Especially when they hide behind the internet to do it , maybe it makes them feel important. To me rude and chicken $hit who reacted like many other know it all…..

You called someone a liar, while hiding behind a keyboard.

You want to doubt someone, that’s fine. You call someone a liar publicly…….chicken $hit

Take that any way you want
I didn’t call you a liar.
I implied that you exaggerated, which is quite common.

The level and intensity of your indignation supports my initial assessment.

The question you might ask yourself is why is it so important to you what I think.
 
I didn’t call you a liar.
I implied that you exaggerated, which is quite common.

The level and intensity of your indignation supports my initial assessment.

The question you might ask yourself is why is it so important to you what I think.
I really don’t care what you think, it’s unimportant.

I do care when a smart a$$ calls me a liar in public, to make themselves feel important.

You are correct I should have just ignored you at that point, my apologies to the forum members
 
Geez..... I leave this site for several months and I see not a thing has changed :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

My go anywhere do anything rifle AKA the Walter Mitty Rifle was a tricked out shortened M14 type but these days it would be a custom 1942 Lithgow no1 mkIII in .303 brit and 180gr handloads.
 
Geez..... I leave this site for several months and I see not a thing has changed :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

My go anywhere do anything rifle AKA the Walter Mitty Rifle was a tricked out shortened M14 type but these days it would be a custom 1942 Lithgow no1 mkIII in .303 brit and 180gr handloads.
My apologies, I should have just STFU
 
I
It happened to me on my last moose, shot him at 280m it was a running shot quartering away, first shot hit him square and when I saw he tried to get up I fired an other one.
When we did the butchering we found a bullet in the hind quarter so I thought I had shot him in the ass on the second shot, but no entry hole…
I shot a moose at 13 yards with my 45/70 430 grain HSM bear load double lung shot broadside, shot again split second later 1" from the first. 1st bullet went clean through, 2nd bullet went in and ended up on the outside of the ham on the far side. My speculation is it went sliding on the inside of the offside hide all the way around. It was definitely my bullet as I matched it to my Marlin microgroove barrel. And no extra holes
 
After 39 years of hunting big game, and the average distance of all game taken, from antelope to bison, in a wide variety of terrain and habitats, including New Zealand and Africa, is just 132 yards, I would say my go anywhere rifle would be my LH Sako 85 Finnlight II rebarreled to 338 Federal.
Scoped (Leupold VX-5 2-12x42 w/ Illum. B&C reticle) with a full magazine (5 rounds) it weighs 8 lbs 6 oz. recoil is calculated at 22 ft lbs.
Going to a VX-3 3.5-10x40 B&C scope would drop it to 8 lbs even.
It shoots the Federal 200 gr UniCor ammo at 2687 fps and can produce 3 shot groups of 0.477" at 200 yards. I have taken moose, caribou and stones sheep with it to date, with the longest shot being on the caribou at 150 yards. I do practice with it out 500 yards, and am comfortable with it from field positions to 400 yards.
It retains over 2000 fps and 1700 ft lbs of energy out to 350 yards, so will work on almost all big game in North America at that distance, if needed, and even remains legal for bison here in BC out to just under 300 yards.

I have many other rifles that I can use, but this one would work for all hunts, in a wide variety of hunting terrain and conditions.
 
Back
Top Bottom