What is your go anywhere do anything rifle?

Im leaning towards a sauer 9.3x62 as a general do everything but Im not able to hunt grizzly or polar bear. I ain't climbing any mountains with my knees the way they are so that leaves moose deer black bear and wolf as my big game chases. Of which my Lil 44 mag would do just fine as im really starting to like it
My 458wm would be just behind the 9.3x62.
Sauer 80/90/202/404 + are beautiful rifles. One day I'll own one if Im lucky.
 
A lot of people who use both would disagree, especially as their velocities drop! Only becomes more apparent.

As for the rest, it doesn't bother you to make arguments that don't have any logical merit? lol. It would bother me. I mean, so much so I'd really just rather be honest and say "Yeah, I can't point to ANY evidence that the 160gr bullet wouldn't stop the bear, where bigger would".

Instead this weird cop-out, but hey haha.

Oh and if you have issue with something you're alluding to me maybe or maybe not even saying elsewhere, quote it and lets talk about rather than speculating whether or not that was even me lol

;)
I dont hunt/shoot at distances where I'd have to worry about monos expanding properly and if thats one of my 7s with 145 LRX or TTSX 150s it'd be a big chunk of ground. One of the beauties of monos is being able to drop down in bullet weight, keeping speeds up, and realizing supetlative performance on impact. In the Whelen thats 200gr vs 225 or 250 gr AB and PT prior. Amazingly animals still tip over without the grenading properties you speak so highly of.

Regarding slugs vs bullets its an IYKYK as my kids say.
 
Last edited:
I dont hunt/shoot at distances where I'd have to worry about monos expanding properly and if thats my one of my 7s with 145 LRX or TTSX 150s it'd be a big chunk of ground. One of the beauties of monos is being able to drop down in bullet weight, keeping speeds up, and realizing supetlative performance on impact. In the Whelen thats 200gr vs 225 or 250 gr AB and PT prior. Amazingly animals still tip over without the grenading properties you speak so highly of.

Regarding slugs vs bullets its an IYKYK as my kids say.


I'd say using much smaller rifles and getting the same results as yours kinda proves my point though.

I'd be plenty comfy on standing with "fragmenting/weight loss kills faster" either way

And as for slugs quote me or it didn't happen lol. Or do you want to keep it to vague accusations instead of facts? Lol. Funny how many prefer that.
 
I like my meat with out lead as much as possible so I don’t shoot frangible bullets for meat animals. If one of my bullets in use right now fall appart I won’t use it again on game simple as that. I know it is really minor lead amount in the meat but as little as possible is better and I hate to loose 5lbs or more of blood shot meat so again I use bullets that stay together or monolithic like in my 9.3x62 250gn ECX shoot good and should open more and wider than the cx tsx or ttsx…. To be seen….
 
Less lead particles I have in my meat the better I feel. And the fastest a moose went down so far it was with a 286 grain partition out of a Ruger no1 9.3x62 over 100m moose was heavily quartering towards me( basically a frontal shot) I don’t think I would have Taken the shot with a 6mm or smaller chambering shooting frangible eld-m or x or federal blue box ammo.
But to each there own!

Had an interesting experience with my niece 16-17 years ago, 15 years old, if she weighed 90 pounds she had a bunch of loonies in her pockets- a bunch 😉. She could ( and can) shoot, truckloads of gophers, couple mule deer and whitetail

Anyhow her , my brother and I were drawn for ‘nuisance’ moose in central Saskatchewan.

Her dad picked up a really nice Husqvarna 6.5x55. Loved the 120 grain TTSX, recoil reasonable. She whacked a big cow quartering towards here. Punched a hole in the scapula, took out the top of the heart broke a couple ribs on the off side.

I have seen quite a few moose ( bulls) hit the ground but none dropped like this one. Mid stride.

We had gone through the scenarios and she would not have shot on a low % shot….well maybe me and/or my brother because we had screwed up a couple opportunities for her.😂😂

It is not just appropriate cartridges but also appropriate use of whatever you are using I think.
 
9.3 x 62 for a do-it-all rifle. Lighter or heaver bullets as required. Rifle about 7 lbs without the scope. Irons can be used looking under the scope, or the QD scope can be easily and quickly removed, and it repeats to zero when replaced. She has Husky's really nice iron sights too.

Rifle.jpgIMG_4571.jpgClosed Receiver.jpg
 
Last edited:
Had an interesting experience with my niece 16-17 years ago, 15 years old, if she weighed 90 pounds she had a bunch of loonies in her pockets- a bunch 😉. She could ( and can) shoot, truckloads of gophers, couple mule deer and whitetail

Anyhow her , my brother and I were drawn for ‘nuisance’ moose in central Saskatchewan.

Her dad picked up a really nice Husqvarna 6.5x55. Loved the 120 grain TTSX, recoil reasonable. She whacked a big cow quartering towards here. Punched a hole in the scapula, took out the top of the heart broke a couple ribs on the off side.

I have seen quite a few moose ( bulls) hit the ground but none dropped like this one. Mid stride.

We had gone through the scenarios and she would not have shot on a low % shot….well maybe me and/or my brother because we had screwed up a couple opportunities for her.😂😂

It is not just appropriate cartridges but also appropriate use of whatever you are using I think.
I'm trying to make sense of the trajectory that accomplishes a punctured scapula and a heart shot.

same one that got JFK?
 
1960 German (first year of production) Weatherby Mark V 270 Weatherby Mag (top rifle).
Grizz or big moose, the lower rifle - 1972 German Mark V 300 Weatherby Mag.

ljqO3od.jpeg
 
I have seen ( numerous times) bullets that took as much as a 90 degree turn in all directions after hitting an animal.
It is not uncommon .
Cat
well, I have seen trajectory changes for sure.
And Barnes bullets really hold together.
But 90 degrees nearly defies physics. My Barnes bullets don't even deflect 90 degrees on hanging AR500. The deformation of a bullet that turned 90 degrees would be extreme!
I think more often, the angle of the animal is different than perceived so the directional change seems more extreme.

Regardless, I can't see a Scapula turning a bullet that hard, just look at how it's built, so maybe the spine behind it?
Then how do we get to the "top of the" heart?
The trajectory from the scapula to the heart is nearly straight down.
Coming from directly above, how de we hit only the top, and then turn again to break a couple ribs and not the sternum?

anyway......
Like every other tall tale told in a pub, the polite thing to do is just say "wow, cool!"

So,

Wow, Cool!
 
Weatherby backcountry 2.0 in 338RPM
It balances fantastic, hits hard and is so handy.
I will come to Africa with me next year, I pack it for everything, still have plenty of other guns for specific purposes but this one is the do all.
I have had a pile of other guns, and customs and nothing seams to come close to this one.
Put a VX3 3.5-10 cds on it with the fire dot and it is one of the best packing rifles I have ever had, and still feels great in my hands.
 
Back
Top Bottom