Where to get 2.5" 12 Gauge Shells?

Cammy7s

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
29   0   1
Location
Edmonton area
I have a buddy who has a Winchester model 1897 Pump Shotgun and seems it will only take 2.5" shells(according to a gunsmith). These are hard to find. Anyone know where to get them? or do I have to tell him to re-load?

Thanks!
:50cal:
 
Beg, borrow or steal, one factory 3 1/2" mag. 12 ga. shell, check how far it will enter chamber....then check how far the same 3 1/2" round will enter the chamber of a known 2 3/4" chamber...this is to test for 2 1/2" vs. 2 3/4" length. If it turns out that it is 2 1/2" you'll have to reload which is not difficult and can be done by hand without a press, although i have only ever loaded 2 1/2" shells with black powder.
 
Any gun shop that carries Kent shotshells (Epps comes to mind) should be able to get 2 1/2" shells for you. They're not Canadian Tire/Wal-Mart common, but they're not exactly hen's teeth either.
 
I have some I bought off a buddy who cleaned out his basement, they're 2.33 without the crimping open. I'd imagine they're 2.5 would they be?
 
Friend of mine had an old double that needed 2.5" shells. He got them at a gun shop in the Victoria area, so they're around here and there. They were a lot more expensive than the standard 2.75" shells, something like 50% more.

Really, unless you're into reloading the best thing is too keep the old gun as a collector's item and get a modern shotgun that uses standard size ammo. The difference in ammo price will pay for the new gun before long.

The other thing to watch out for is that the old gun is actually rated for smokeless power. (My friend's had the stamping "Nitro" to indicate this.) As an 1897 model it's probably OK, but shotguns were still being made for black powder into the 20th century. Bad idea to use one of those with a modern shell.
 
What year is your 1897? Mine I believe is 1904 and although it was not printed on it I took it to someone who said it was 2 3/4. Not to say yours is. I went skeet shooting the other day and decided on trying it out after spending a week getting it to work as it was siezed solid from sitting in an attic. My best advice is to find some old paper/cardboard loads as the plastic loads I will not fire in this thing as even when they are 2 3/4 or 2 7/8 they are meant for those in older paper crimped loads and I believe the plastic will only open up a small way in these chambers thus increasing the pressure tremendously.

I will let you know however I shot 25 rounds though it and my dad 10 and it functioned flawlessly however the recoil on an old steel plate instead of a 1/2" rubber pad is quite considerable even though it is a heavy sucker. Just get it checked out again as I am not sure unless it is really, really old pre 1900 that it would be 2.5". If it isn't 2 3/4 then its probably 2 7/8" which means yeah 2.5 is a safe bet or if you can handload or find someone online I remember seeing both of them off a shotgun ammo site.

Good luck, be safe, have fun, they are amazing shotguns and the ext. hammer is a great option for when it was initially designed to be able to hold the trigger down and just pump all the shells out of it but if you are going to do that make sure you are using low pressure rounds. That action is like a swiss watch and if its 100 years old your may end up hurting it. Not saying you can't do it once or so (I tried it out and it worked find but just with 3 rounds)
 
If a gunsmith said it's designed for 2.5" shells I would definitely heed that advice. Remember that a 2.75" shell will actually fit into a 2.5" chamber. The problem is that when fired the crimping expands into the barrel. At a minimum this will make the case very hard to extract. Worse damage is possible. Play it safe.
 
It is a 1906.

What year is your 1897? Mine I believe is 1904 and although it was not printed on it I took it to someone who said it was 2 3/4. Not to say yours is. I went skeet shooting the other day and decided on trying it out after spending a week getting it to work as it was siezed solid from sitting in an attic. My best advice is to find some old paper/cardboard loads as the plastic loads I will not fire in this thing as even when they are 2 3/4 or 2 7/8 they are meant for those in older paper crimped loads and I believe the plastic will only open up a small way in these chambers thus increasing the pressure tremendously.

I will let you know however I shot 25 rounds though it and my dad 10 and it functioned flawlessly however the recoil on an old steel plate instead of a 1/2" rubber pad is quite considerable even though it is a heavy sucker. Just get it checked out again as I am not sure unless it is really, really old pre 1900 that it would be 2.5". If it isn't 2 3/4 then its probably 2 7/8" which means yeah 2.5 is a safe bet or if you can handload or find someone online I remember seeing both of them off a shotgun ammo site.

Good luck, be safe, have fun, they are amazing shotguns and the ext. hammer is a great option for when it was initially designed to be able to hold the trigger down and just pump all the shells out of it but if you are going to do that make sure you are using low pressure rounds. That action is like a swiss watch and if its 100 years old your may end up hurting it. Not saying you can't do it once or so (I tried it out and it worked find but just with 3 rounds)
 
I'm no expert, but it seems logical to me that if you get into reloading and just trim down the plastic on some once-fired 2.75" shells, you should be able to make your own 2.5" loads.

Don't shotshells always resize a little smaller anyways?
 
Any gun shop that carries Kent shotshells (Epps comes to mind) should be able to get 2 1/2" shells for you. They're not Canadian Tire/Wal-Mart common, but they're not exactly hen's teeth either.

I think I would be getting a 30 buck roll crimp and making my own. Its not that hard. BTW. I'll bet $10 that thing takes 2 3/4
 
I'll bet $10 that thing takes 2 3/4

This^

The English were fond of their 2.5" shells in fine doubles, for quite some time. Winchester, I have my doubts about, and would expect it to be clearly marked if it were different from the regular run of product.

FWIW, if you can track down the issues of The Double Gun Journal, there were a couple printed articles that put to rest the theories that you will cause yer #### to fall off, or other terrible things, by shooting 2 3/4 " shells inna 2 1/2" chamber. Fellow put his money down, instrumented a bunch of test guns and barrels and shot them to see what the pressure results were. Worth tracking the article down for a peruse.

Cheers
Trev
 
Hey guys! That is my gun my friend posted about. i am a newcomer to CGN. I think at this point I may just invest in a newer shotgun for regular shooting. It would be fun to shoot the 1897 on occasion but even given the rest of condition of the gun i think it's wise not to make it a regular shooter. When doing prior research on this I came across a lot of people saying it may be 2 5/8" as opposed to 2 3/4". The gunsmith then said it's 2 1/2". However now I am seeing 2 7/8" on here. Is that another sized chamber as well??
 
The Double Gun Journal, there were a couple printed articles that put to rest the theories that you will cause yer #### to fall off, or other terrible things, by shooting 2 3/4 " shells inna 2 1/2" chamber.

I have shot hundreds of 2 3/4 shells in 2 1/2 chambered shotguns without any issue. These were modern plastic hulled shells.

Having said that, every one of those rounds was loaded with black powder which produces much less pressure than modern smokeless powder. I have no interest in picking bits of shrapnel out of my forehead.
 
Hey guys! That is my gun my friend posted about. i am a newcomer to CGN. I think at this point I may just invest in a newer shotgun for regular shooting. It would be fun to shoot the 1897 on occasion but even given the rest of condition of the gun i think it's wise not to make it a regular shooter. When doing prior research on this I came across a lot of people saying it may be 2 5/8" as opposed to 2 3/4". The gunsmith then said it's 2 1/2". However now I am seeing 2 7/8" on here. Is that another sized chamber as well??

BTW. The 1901 sears roebuck catalogue I have in front of me lists the winchester model of 1897 to have a pump action, exposed hammer and takes are you ready. 2 3/4" modern no smoke shells....HHHHMMMM bares thinking about huh
 
Back
Top Bottom