Where to get 2.5" 12 Gauge Shells?

I have a couple of Win 1897 12 guage shotguns and have always used regular 12 guage lead loads 2 3/4" no problem,
Never used steel loads. never had a problem in the last 30 years,
 
To my knowledge, there were no 2.5" 1897s produced; it should be chambered for 2.75... sort of.

It will take, and fire, modern 2.75 light loads without problem. I know mine does. The issue is that the chamber is too short, and the plastic hulls open into the forcing cone, causing increased chamber pressures. You can tell by trying to rack a fired shell through it. The action will not close on the fired shell. I'm guessing this is why the gunsmith said it was a 2.5" chamber. Long story short, it has to do with the crimp in paper hulls taking less material to form, which in turn correlates to a shorter overall length when fired.

The best solution isn't to go buy a new shotgun, but rather to get your chamber reamed out. Should cost less than a hundred bucks, and will allow your gun to swallow new, plastic-hulled 2.75" shells without an issue. Don't be afraid to use it to shoot as you would any other gun; the things are built like tanks out of higher quality steel than you're liable to find in most new guns. Mine has lasted god knows how many years of military duty and decades more of sporting use and it still busts clays with a regularity that depresses my Remi 870-wielding friends.
 
Yeah that is exactly what happens with the 2 3/4" is the shell doesn't open all the way. That was almost 15 years ago though, but I do remember that. Maybe I will look into getting the chamber reamed. i was trying to leave the gun 100% original but I'd rather fire it than hang it on a wall I guess lol. Another option i have heard is to replace the barrel with a Model 12 barrel. At this point though I am liking the reaming idea. Thanks a lot for all the input.....
 
Back
Top Bottom