who here has imported ammo from USA?

I was stopped on the way back to the border by the U.S. enforcement team, I was told by those guys that IF YOU ARE NOT A U.S.RESIDENT OR A RESIDENT OF THE STATE ,YOU NEED THE PROPER {PERMITS YES HE SAID PERMITS TO BRING BACK AMMO FROM THE STATES}
 
The last time I was down, I stopped at the canadian side, ran in, and grabbed a "I Declare" pamphlet. Then I proceded to the American side, and after the usual pleasantries, asked about bringing 'up to 5000 rounds back' and was told that I needed to fill out an application form and send it in 2-3 weeks prior to the trip. I asked "where do I send it?" he said the address is on the form. I asked "where do I get the form?" he said that normally they have them there, but they were all out.

He didn't say anything about cost (I didn't ask either); but he was very nonchallant about it, like it was no big deal. He did caution me not to try to bring anything back without that permit in place. Figuring he flagged my vehicle, I certainly didn't try to, but didn't get checked anyways.

If I were you, I'd call US Customs at whatever border crossing you're closest to, and just explain what you want to do, they'll help you out
 
DDTC Response Team
Contact Information:
Phone: (202) 663-1282
E-mail: DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov

This is who anyone who wants any information on bringing back guns, ammo, scopes, rings, mags, etc...

They will be able to answer any question that you may have. Please let this thread die? I can't stop clicking on it.
 
"...why do I need the export permit, I am not the exporter..." You're right. You don't. The exporter does. You need to provide a Canadian import permit for the U.S. exporter to be able to apply for the U.S. export permit. Takes several months to get.
You, as a non-immigrant alien, cannot be in possession of ammo or firearms unless you're Stateside to hunt or shoot a match and have the U.S. ATF forms. Those also takes time to get approved. You cannot just drive across the border, buy ammo and come home with it.
 
"...why do I need the export permit, I am not the exporter..." You're right. You don't. The exporter does. You need to provide a Canadian import permit for the U.S. exporter to be able to apply for the U.S. export permit. Takes several months to get.
You, as a non-immigrant alien, cannot be in possession of ammo or firearms unless you're Stateside to hunt or shoot a match and have the U.S. ATF forms. Those also takes time to get approved. You cannot just drive across the border, buy ammo and come home with it.

Well aware of that......never said it was an overnight process

it took about 3 months to import my first handgun from the US, so I am well aware it takes time....
 
Last edited:
Here is a response from a US exporter to my question about purchasing 5000rnds of ammo from the USA...Not worth it at all:



Thank you for your interest. We would be happy to assist with your export.



Should you decide to purchase directly from us, the fee to prepare the export documents is $250 plus 5% of the export transaction to prepare the export. Our minimum fee per export transaction is $500, which includes the $250 export license fee paid to the U.S. State Department.



If you make a purchase from another seller, (including Gunbroker.com or any similar on-line firearm auction site) we can accept delivery while the export transaction is pending. In the event that you choose to pursue this route, the process will take considerably longer, as U.S. regulation requires 30-day notice to the U.S. State Department prior to submission of the export license application. If you purchase from any seller other than ********* **********, there is no way around this requirement. As a result of this regulatory requirement and the additional work required, our fee increases by $100 to cover the additional paperwork and insurance coverage for the period that your firearms are in temporary storage.



The export of shotguns is an entirely different process, which involves the U.S. Commerce Department. License applications to the U.S. Commerce Department typically require 6 – 8 weeks for approval from the time of submission. The same fees as noted above would apply.



We cannot provide an estimate on how long the export process will take, as every transaction is different. It can take several weeks (or longer) to secure the required paperwork to complete the export application. In many cases, exports are approved within 7 – 10 business days from submission of a complete export license application packet. As noted above, the 30-day notification period is independent (and must proceed) the submission of an export license application. The US State Department has 60-days to respond to an export application. In rare cases, the export application may take much longer to be approved or denied.



Our shipping terms are . We typically ship freight collect via passenger aircraft to international customers. Freight costs are paid upon delivery. Shipping costs will vary depending upon size, weight, and value of the parcels being delivered, and there is no way to accurately estimate the shipping costs without this information. Nevertheless, it typically costs a minimum of $200 to ship a single rifle, depending upon delivery location. Shipping costs can be much greater as parcels get larger and heavier. In some cases, we are able to ship via U.S. Postal Service, but the maximum amount of insurance available for firearms is $650 per package. We are able to ship ammunition, but the cost is prohibitive for most consumers.



If you wish to proceed, we will need a copy of your import permit. We will draft the required documents and forward them to you for review and signature.



Additional information regarding our services, including required paperwork need to complete the transaction may be found on our website
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom