Why is there no 32 Rim fire ammo being imported ?

I think 32 RF is a nice round but if it would be commercially available, the guns would potentially be prohibited. You can just buy Dixie cases and reload.

Idle speculation.

.455 Webley new production ammo (the Fiocci stuff for instance) is commercially available, although hard to find. CanAm had it a short while back.

45 ACP is commercially available (albeit a little too hot for antiques)... what about all them prescribed antique Webleys in .45 ACP?

38 Special is commercially available, and there are quite a few revolvers that are prescribed antiques as well.
 
Not as easy as that. They would have to open up and modify C-68 to do so.
Trev

No, because the definition of what is an "antique" has nothing to do with C-68. This is straight from the Criminal Code:


“antique firearm” means
(a) any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition, or
(b) any firearm that is prescribed to be an antique firearm;


(I will point out here that I thought paragraph (a) included some talk of cartridges that were not commonly available, but since that is not the case, the whole premise of my previous post is wrong).

So it would appear that .32 rimfire handguns are prescribed antiques, as allowed by paragraph (b). The prescription regulations say this:

HANDGUNS
6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.
7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.


But it doesn't take any act of law to change the regulations, they could rewrite them tomorrow without involving any legislation. But, you are probably right in saying that they wouldn't without some sort of public outcry about it.
 
Mostly because it is mainly used in prohibited firearms would be my guess. Very little demand, and NRCAN does everything they can to limit it to the stuff our Olympic team uses.

I don't think the olympic team uses firearms that take .32 rimfire, and .32 rimfire is not mainly used in prohibited firearms. I think you are confusing rimfire with centrefire ammunition.
 
I think 32 RF is a nice round but if it would be commercially available, the guns would potentially be prohibited. You can just buy Dixie cases and reload.

Which would mean an amendment to the current legislation to allow 12/6 licensing and the registration of unregistered 12/6 guns which is not currently allowed. Not that I don't like my antique 32's but I'd sacrifice them all for a 12/6 license... :D
 
Which would mean an amendment to the current legislation to allow 12/6 licensing and the registration of unregistered 12/6 guns which is not currently allowed. Not that I don't like my antique 32's but I'd sacrifice them all for a 12/6 license... :D

-1

Lets not give more guns to future confiscation list...
 
I think 32 RF is a nice round but if it would be commercially available, the guns would potentially be prohibited. You can just buy Dixie cases and reload.

Availability of ammuntion does not make a firearm prohibited.

If the pistol in question is a pre-1898 .32 rimfire, then it is not prohibited. It is a prescribed antique according to the regualtions, regardless of the availability of ammunition.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom