XM193 5.56 Lake City

Well then I dont feel so bad cause Im gonna get loaded LC for not too much more than that. Maybe I should buy more, this deal is looking better and better. Next on my list is some M855 penetrators.
Be careful about the term "penetraters"...It's not armour peircing, or anything like that...M855 ammo is merely a 62gr bullet (green tipped to indicate so), as opposed to the M193, which is 55gr...
Also, many a person, and dealers, freely interchange the term .223 with 5.56...They are not the same...
 
Be careful about the term "penetraters"...It's not armour peircing, or anything like that...M855 ammo is merely a 62gr bullet (green tipped to indicate so), as opposed to the M193, which is 55gr...
Also, many a person, and dealers, freely interchange the term .223 with 5.56...They are not the same...

No it isn't, M855 has a steel penetrator, it is not classified as AP, nor would it be illegal if it was as AP rifle ammo is legal.
 
m855 has steel core it is different from the regular m193 ball ammo
Be careful about the term "penetraters"...It's not armour peircing, or anything like that...M855 ammo is merely a 62gr bullet (green tipped to indicate so), as opposed to the M193, which is 55gr...
Also, many a person, and dealers, freely interchange the term .223 with 5.56...They are not the same...
 
Ok I know M855 is not AP but it does have a steel penetrator(core) which offers superiour penetration charictaristics as opposed to other ammo. Oh and yes I know that people like to represent .223 as 5.56 but I know for a fact the ammo in question is 5.56 M193.
 
Ok well I bought it looks good so far. I also ended up having to buy 500 rounds which is more than I need. Would there be interest if I put some of it up on the EE? Just to confirm it is XM193 5.56x45mm 55grn BT manufactured by Federal at Lake City in 08.
 
Ok I know M855 is not AP but it does have a steel penetrator(core) which offers superiour penetration charictaristics as opposed to other ammo. Oh and yes I know that people like to represent .223 as 5.56 but I know for a fact the ammo in question is 5.56 M193.
M193...You can never have too much of the stuff....Or any other military grade ammo....
"M" denotes first grade military ammo...
"XM" denotes 2nd grade military ammo....All that means is that the cases have blemishes (military likes the pristine look), but it in no way effects the ammo's performance...
If you can get it for a buck a round, or less, buy it...
 
xm193 is manufactured in a federal ammunition plant but when you talk about m193 its manufactured in Lake city ammunition plant that's the difference. also there are other manufactures that produce m193 in different names so they can sell it to civies just like XM from federal
 
No this XM193 is manufactured in Lake City and it is 5.56. It is manufactured for military and LE by federal. There are 3 grades as mentioned. Grade 1 is military use only. Now this ammo which I believe is grade 2 from what I understand was imported for LE use and there was excess so it was sold off. What I am trying to say is this is 100% legit Lake City 5.56 intended for terrorist killing(Kinda kidding but kinda not).
 
A buck a round is crazy, even at today's rates. Seems like not that long ago I was paying $109/1000...
Yes, "those were the days", but remember, it was President Bill ("I did not have ###...") Clinton who banned the sale of military surplus ammo to civilians...The price is steep, but it's always nice to have a few rounds of military grade ammo laying around;)...
 
Yes, "those were the days", but remember, it was President Bill ("I did not have ###...") Clinton who banned the sale of military surplus ammo to civilians...The price is steep, but it's always nice to have a few rounds of military grade ammo laying around;)...

But $1 per round is still stupid - you can buy 5.56-spec SP or BTHP for that much...
 
Ok I know M855 is not AP but it does have a steel penetrator(core) which offers superiour penetration charictaristics as opposed to other ammo. Oh and yes I know that people like to represent .223 as 5.56 but I know for a fact the ammo in question is 5.56 M193.

SS109 bullet does not have a steel core - it has a steel tip.

I am not so sure about "superior" penetration characteristics - it is only superior in penetrating steel helmet, light/medium gauge steel sheet, and flak vest at "extended range" beyond 300m. It sucks as much as regular lead core on almost everything, such as windshield, bricks...etc. Within close range, the higher velocity of the M193 ball made up for the lack of steel tip.

What it is nice about M855 is the longer bullet profile and boat tail design, which produces a higher ballistic coefficient and therefore it is more useful for longer range shooting (under 500m)when one cannot afford factory load match ammo such as 69gr smk.
 
Back
Top Bottom