Antique Ammo problems (reload your own) See PIC

Blaming the ammo or the shooter isn't what Dingus was doing - he simply made us aware of some poor quality ammo that is commercially available on our market. I don't understand why you feel the need to defend the commercial reloader. Let him address it himself, if he chooses to.

I'm not defending any reloader, commercial or otherwise. A squib load can turn up from any box of ammo. I've had one from a box of 38spl loaded by Federal. All I'm saying is the squib didn't cause the wrecked barrel. The next round behind it did. And that is operator error.
 
Undamaged or damaged it makes no difference. When you are paying $260+ for 100 rounds shipped... there shouldn't be any squib loads. The company in question needs to fix this and review their quality control process.

@Joe-nwt - I did a quick google search and found the following article "Overloaded Factory Ammo and Damaged Gun" from 2008.

In a nutshell damaged gun and five hundred rounds of ammo was replaced.

P1060758.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
pics:
P1060773.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Last edited:
I think it's just best to reload your own; tying up 4 - 5 K $, then feeding it another's reloads seems...ill thought out? If reloading is beyond ( or perhaps below ) you, then maybe purchasing a new handgun ( and all the BS that accompanies it in Canada ) is best.
Stronger, cheaper and readily available off-the-shelf ammo are the points on the good side of this plan.
Tethered to a range and a LTATT would be a bad point for sure.
I've been noticing Keith's name a lot lately, his thoughts on this topic was to only run factory and hotter loads, because rapid fire and a Squib will bulge a bbl.
Antiques and hot loads are a bad mix of course, sort of compounds the problem doesn't it.?
 
is it not illegal for someone to sell reloaded ammo without a licence ??

Going slighty off topic here. Are any of you aware of someone being charged with selling re-loaded ammunition and where would that legislation be found? I have seen a lot of reloads sold and I don't think that those buyers and sellers knew that it is illegal. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

I finally found the section but I am still curious if anyone knows of anyone being charged with selling reloads?

Explosives Act Part IV
35. Any person may, in respect of safety cartridges, load at a place other than a licensed factory if
(a) the loaded safety cartridges are not for sale or for any commercial, industrial or business use;
 
Last edited:
The ammunition supplier can't be blamed too fast IMO.
The same damage could have been from a plugged bbl (snow most likely) that had several rounds fired, the 1st one the bullet could be stopped by the obstruction and the second would bulge it.
Sad, no matter what. But operator error, I'd say...1st error is not rolling your own. 2nd is missing the squib.
Glad no one was hurt.
 
I agree with... You can't blame the company if this is not ammo related. At the same time you can't blame the end user for not reloading. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea. But if the squib happened because there was not enough powder in the case and if this can be proven. The company is 100% liable. You didn't buy the ammo from a guy in the dark alley ;) but from someone who is a licensed ammunition maker. I am very glad no one got hurt as well. Grrrr. Now I will have to rip the ammo I bought apart and confirm all is well.

The ammunition supplier can't be blamed too fast IMO.
The same damage could have been from a plugged bbl (snow most likely) that had several rounds fired, the 1st one the bullet could be stopped by the obstruction and the second would bulge it.
Sad, no matter what. But operator error, I'd say...1st error is not rolling your own. 2nd is missing the squib.
Glad no one was hurt.
 
Last edited:
Going slighty off topic here. Are any of you aware of someone being charged with selling re-loaded ammunition and where would that legislation be found? I have seen a lot of reloads sold and I don't think that those buyers and sellers knew that it is illegal. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

I finally found the section but I am still curious if anyone knows of anyone being charged with selling reloads?

Explosives Act Part IV
35. Any person may, in respect of safety cartridges, load at a place other than a licensed factory if
(a) the loaded safety cartridges are not for sale or for any commercial, industrial or business use;

They can get a licenses from the CFO as a business not a person. Key word Any Person... Now a company isn't a person.
 
It'd be a complicated issue to prove it. Even powder positioning can be a problem; eg, a large case with a small charge might not ignite properly when a pistol is brought from the vertical to horizontal position...the powder is all at the front of the case.
I agree that reloading ought not be required to shoot an antique, but time wise it's a great investment if you've a valuable pistol. Then you KNOW its done right and your pistol is safe...and you as well
 
They can get a licenses from the CFO as a business not a person. Key word Any Person... Now a company isn't a person.

To LEGALLY sell reloads you need to go through NRCan not the CFO, I have looked into it myself when I was reloading .41 Colt.
 
I agree with... You can't blame the company if this is not ammo related. At the same time you can't blame the end user for not reloading. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea. But if the squib happened because there was not enough powder in the case and if this can be proven. The company is 100% liable. You didn't buy the ammo from a guy in the dark alley ;) but from someone who is a licensed ammunition maker. I am very glad no one got hurt as well. Grrrr. Now I will have to rip the ammo I bought apart and confirm all is well.

I know who the maker of the ammo is and there is no indication made what so ever that he is licenced. This is also not the first case of issues with ammo from said maker.
 
When I was reloading for an antique 44 Russian, I weighed and double-checked every single load before seating the bullet. I also seated the bullet immediately after weighing the charge. All of this was done on a single stage press.

I had ~3K in that pistol. No way in he!! I was going to blow it up...
 
Charges for antique pistols are usually around 4 grains - bullet and case variation would make it hard to tell if 4 grains was missing.

that is what I was thinking too ......

but even if a guy was reloading for himself on a progressive press , how would he catch a possibly dangerous screw up? .... or verify a loaded round without taking it apart?
 
You could try shaking it. When I shake rounds next to my ear I can here the powder inside. Load a single round and try it to know what it sounds like with a charge. This would only be useful to determine a squib, not if you have a double charge or under charge. I think ball powder would be more obvious too.
 
If that is true... that is ballsy/moronic. Wow!

What would have happened if someone lost a finger/hand/arm/etc?


I know who the maker of the ammo is and there is no indication made what so ever that he is licenced. This is also not the first case of issues with ammo from said maker.
 
Back
Top Bottom