The Perfect Backpacker Just Got Better

3 choke tubes, aluminum rail/ with sight notch and a nice front sight
 

Attachments

  • 20261005_170617.jpg
    20261005_170617.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 72
Rossi LWC in 223 or 357 sells for 499$.
250$ more in price, but i'd view that increase worth it for a short 9.8" or 12" barrel on a rifle.
And then you can't shoot 12-gauge. Limits the options as a whole. You could try 223 or 357 with a Grizzly, but I think most backpackers would advise against it.
 
Be aware that unfortunately the Trailhand and Trailhand Pro do not fit long caliber inserts. 3" is the max. Shooters Box does offer rifled 3" inserts however and those still work nicely.
I've tried several ~8" Chiappa X-caliber inserts in several Trailhand shotguns.
They are very tight, but usually fit if pre-lubed with oil and tapped in with a rubber mallet.
Just orient insert in chamber so extractor isn't extracting it every time, use wood dowel and mallet to remove.
 
I've tried several ~8" Chiappa X-caliber inserts in several Trailhand shotguns.
They are very tight, but usually fit if pre-lubed with oil and tapped in with a rubber mallet.
Just orient insert in chamber so extractor isn't extracting it every time, use wood dowel and mallet to remove.
That is interesting, I would have never thought to try and force it haha. I have a real aversion to any kind of jams in my firearms, because of past bad experiences. 😅 Also I should say I only have one adapter to work with (9mm), I got one just for fun. Sort of a poor man's Stowaway. I have a Charles Daly Lil Scorpio 14" that I can use it with, so its not useless to me but yeah, for some reason both of my Trailhands have a ridge that really seems to block the one X-caliber insert I have.
 
Last edited:
I have Invested in the Chiappa adaptors at this pt. It is intersting the gen2 now complies with BC hunting regs due to feedback but they did not change it to accept 8” adapters. There has been significant discussion on the forums about this. I wanted to buy the original and will not buy the Gen2 as thy do not accept 8” adaptors.
Check out the Charles Daly 101 Lil Scorpio, 14". The Lil Scorpio 14" folds to 20", and I think the version with a pic rail ("turkey gun") only comes in 20" barrel, which I would imagine also folds to 20", maybe a half inch more. Maybe some kind of barrel swap would be possible? I have wanted to get the receiver on mine tapped and drilled but its such a cheap gun I feel sheepish about troubling some gunsmith for such a job haha.
 
Hi everyone, I now have this shotgun in hand and am happy to report that an 11” chaszel adapter fits in no issues. I have not fired it, but all basic function checks show there are no issues. I’ll get to the range next week to shoot it.
Thanks, that's not a surprise, I wonder if buddy will come back and explain why he thought anything longer then 3" wound not work?
He seemed pretty confident but hasn't been around to explain his theory or personal experience.
 
And then you can't shoot 12-gauge. Limits the options as a whole. You could try 223 or 357 with a Grizzly, but I think most backpackers would advise against it.
BCL Bronco Howitzer comes in a 9.5" barrel, .223 or .308, but the recoil is pretty extreme in such a small package with stiff stock. I picked up a Spearhead Machine muzzle brake for my .223 to see if that can help. :geek: Of course, here in southern ontario the worst thing you might encounter is a rabid coyote lol.
 
That is interesting, I would have never thought to try and force it haha. I have a real aversion to any kind of jams in my firearms, because of past bad experiences. 😅 Also I should say I only have one adapter to work with (9mm), I got one just for fun. Sort of a poor man's Stowaway. I have a Charles Daly Lil Scorpio 14" that I can use it with, so its not useless to me but yeah, for some reason both of my Trailhands have a ridge that really seems to block the one X-caliber insert I have.
Hey your back! :)

What is this ridge and where in the barrel is it located? I agree with you that hammering an insert in and out is not a great idea and might also make the gun hard to break open and "extract" the forced insert..... that said I can't imagine it would take much effort to remove a bit of material from the insert to make it fit snug but not hammer tight.

Your ridge seems like something else though. How far in would your insert go before hitting this "ridge"?
 
Last edited:
Hey your back! :)

What is this ridge and where in the barrel is it located? I agree with you that hammering an insert in and out is not a great idea and might also make the gun hard to break open and "extract" the forced insert..... that said I can't imagine it would take much effort to remove a bit of material from the insert to make it fit snug but not hammer tight.

Your ridge seems like something else though. How far in would you insert go before hitting this "ridge"?
I'm pretty sure the ridge is right at the 3" mark on both versions. I believe it would correspond with the maximum shell size or the chamber area. If you look in the barrel, you can see the ridge (its a ring). I could try and take a picture tomorrow.
 
I have Invested in the Chiappa adaptors at this pt. It is intersting the gen2 now complies with BC hunting regs due to feedback but they did not change it to accept 8” adapters. There has been significant discussion on the forums about this. I wanted to buy the original and will not buy the Gen2 as thy do not accept 8” adaptors.
Did you also struggle to get an 8 inch adapter to work? Maybe try an 11 inch.... :)
 
Did you also struggle to get an 8 inch adapter to work? Maybe try an 11 inch.... :)
The X-caliber inserts are funny in the sense that they narrow and then flare out again. Shooters Box 3" adapters typically neck down only at the end as well. I don't think I have any that are longer than 3" but I'll take a look tomorroww and I can also try and measure the chamber or measure against the X-caliber when its inserted to confirm.
 
I'm pretty sure the ridge is right at the 3" mark on both versions. I believe it would correspond with the maximum shell size or the chamber area. If you look in the barrel, you can see the ridge (its a ring). I could try and take a picture tomorrow.
The Inserts should headspace off the rim and the taper of the it should fit in a 2 3/4" shotgun chamber.
The longer inserts are longer where they go down the bore of the shotgun's barrel but they should not be longer the same way a 3" or 3 1/2" shell is and require a bigger chamber.

Sounds like your "ridge" that your seeing is the forcing cone where the chamber narrows to the bore size of the barrel?

I've never tried any inserts with rubber o-rings, but if I had a chamber and barrel that an insert with o rings was real tight in I'd take the o-rings off and try it without them.
 
The X-caliber inserts are funny in the sense that they narrow and then flare out again. Shooters Box 3" adapters typically neck down only at the end as well. I don't think I have any that are longer than 3" but I'll take a look tomorroww and I can also try and measure the chamber or measure against the X-caliber when its inserted to confirm.
I've never tried them but always assumed that was done to make them lighter.
 
The Inserts should headspace off the rim and the taper of the it should fit in a 2 3/4" shotgun chamber.
The longer inserts are longer where they go down the bore of the shotgun's barrel but they should not be longer the same way a 3" or 3 1/2" shell is and require a bigger chamber.

Sounds like your "ridge" that your seeing is the forcing cone where the chamber narrows to the bore size of the barrel?

I've never tried any inserts with rubber o-rings, but if I had a chamber and barrel that an insert with o rings was real tight in I'd take the o-rings off and try it without them.
Lube the oring and tap it in. Shooting them with out can lead to the end smacking the barrel walls when fired and also not lining it with the bore

The better inserts all tap in for a tight fit. Thats why most come with the mallet. They slide in and miss the extractors. The guns extractors catch the inserts extractors to remove the spent hull
 
Lube the oring and tap it in. Shooting them with out can lead to the end smacking the barrel walls when fired and also not lining it with the bore

The better inserts all tap in for a tight fit. Thats why most come with the mallet. They slide in and miss the extractors. The guns extractors catch the inserts extractors to remove the spent hull
These are savage four tenner tubes inside a 1877 Husqvarna. Its dirty as i just got back from the skeet field
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20261008_115215_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20261008_115215_Gallery.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20261008_115200_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20261008_115200_Gallery.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom