First, Hornady is good stuff. I like their ammo allot, but 950 FPS isn't all that "hot". I've got some Speer GD 127 gr. 9mm +P+ that's like 1350 FPS out of a 4" barrel. 950 is pretty decent for a 45, but it's not for anything else.
Second, Why are you bragging about paying $30 for 20 rounds? My God that's pricey, you could handload those bullets (Everyday normal XTP's) onto used brass for about 30% of that. Also, you could HANDLOAD 45 to much higher pressures then that "hot" factory ammo is right now.
Third, handloading is not second class ammunition. I'm unaware of any shooting champion over the last 10 years that used "factory" ammunition to compete with. Factory ammo is alright, but your going to pay through the nose and it's never loaded to it's maximum potential.
Look at 10mm. The "hottest" 10mm you can buy (in Canada at least) is maybe 200gr. @ 1050 FPS. That's NOTHING compared to handloads, where you can get up to 1300+ for the same gr. bullet.
Most factory ammo is wimpy at best.
Haven't fired much factory hey?
BTW the Ranger +P+ 127gr, SXT does 1225 out of a 4" barrel.
Want something hot. Try a Speer GD +P+ 155gr. 9mm. It does 1440fps out of a G17. How about a 9mm with 530ft/lbs of energy? Hotter than any load I've tried in 9mm, .40S&W, .45GAP/ACP.
Don't care about 10mm, its a dead cartridge with absolute zero selection in Canada.
Keep handloading hot, one of these days your range experience isn't going to be too friendly. Ask how I know. 15 years ago I hot loaded everything too. Took one blown up gun to change my mind that velocity isn't everything.
I take pride in my handloads, but would NEVER trust one in a life or death situation.
Too all that want to launch a .45 handloaded slug at 1300fps, your time is coming......

I don't know if its made anymore but the best factory ammo to use in a self defense situation according to Evan Marshall's stats used to be Speer's 200 grain "flying ashtray" load.
Anyone know if its still made?
Eric
Haven't fired much factory hey?
BTW the Ranger +P+ 127gr, SXT does 1225 out of a 4" barrel.
Want something hot. Try a Speer GD +P+ 155gr. 9mm. It does 1440fps out of a G17. How about a 9mm with 530ft/lbs of energy? Hotter than any load I've tried in 9mm, .40S&W, .45GAP/ACP.
Don't care about 10mm, its a dead cartridge with absolute zero selection in Canada.
Keep handloading hot, one of these days your range experience isn't going to be too friendly. Ask how I know. 15 years ago I hot loaded everything too. Took one blown up gun to change my mind that velocity isn't everything.
I take pride in my handloads, but would NEVER trust one in a life or death situation.
Too all that want to launch a .45 handloaded slug at 1300fps, your time is coming......
Why are handloads a liability in court?Commercial/military ammo is sealed at the primer and case mouth to prevent water and oils/solvents from entering and killing the primer/powder.
Would you trust your life to less than perfect ammo? How many rounds do you need? The average number of rounds in personal defense situations is less than 3. Buy the best ammo you can find for serious use, it is cheap and it works every time.
Handloads are a liability in court after the serious use. Read The Truth About Self-Protection by Massad Ayoob.
My $00.02
Why are handloads a liability in court?![]()
This doesn't make sense to me.Lawyers ....will eat you up in court,
Use what local cops carry , or better yet a bird gun. bottom line , that lets the courts know your not out for a fight, just a home owner protecting his or her life, and their loved ones.

it doesn't have to be a foreign gun- the 45 acp brass is only rated to about 19k psi anyway before it fails in the head area- the way that 45 "magnums" achieve their whomp and stomp is through the use of RIFLE brass , which is MUCH thicker in the head area
This doesn't make sense to me.
If I'm going to court to defend myself for murder or manslaughter (because I shot a violent home invader) I'm going to be using a top-notch lawyer also. The crown won't be the only person represented by lawyers.
Plus, I simply cannot see how anyone could argue that reloaded ammo is any different from store bought ammo.
Not to mention, as they say in the US, dead men tell no tales. Birdshot is nothing less than pre-meditated aggrevated assualt. You won't avoid jailtime firing that at someone.
Plus, I simply cannot see how anyone could argue that reloaded ammo is any different from store bought ammo.
Buffalo Gun centre, lots of flavours of .45 defense loads. Yes, the Hornady are really good, that and Corbon are about the best.



























