Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Competition

I don't own one, but there is not a thing wrong with them. In the BPCR world, you can't buy your way to the top. Several well known shooters have used them in the silhouette game and outshot competitors with high-dollar custom guns. They just don't hold their value like a Shiloh or C. Sharps....


...and yes, I shoot a Shiloh :D... two actually, with a third one on my mind. :redface:
 
I have the Longrange model in 45-90 and it is a hoot! Have shot numerous 100 yd 5-shot groups with 2 or 3 in one ragged hole then a couple of flyers but can usually hold about 2" for the 5 shots. A pal has the Quigley in 45-70 and it does as well. We are both still experimenting with BP loads for accuracy so would really appreciate advice from anyone who can do better wrt accuracy. We don't, as yet shoot beyond 200 yd but will ultimately try iron silhouettes to 500. The ultimate objective is to use them on deer, moose or elk.
 
Does anyone have one? What do you think of it? Is it reasonably BPCR competitive? Feel free to share your experiences and especially advice, any help would be appreciated.

I have one, it is the older model with a 30" barrel in 45-70 cal.
I have five 45-70,s and it could well be the most accurate of the bunch.
The only problem that I have with this gun is that the stock (comb) is so high that the sights need to be removed to clean from the breech end.:( That is a PITA. Though the gun will still hold zero when they are replaced! Mine really likes the gas checked LEE 500 gr. along with smokless powder. Though it will perform with black as well. I think it weigths 12lbs and with the high stock is comfortable to shoot with stout loads.
 
If you are going to spend that kind of money, I'd opt for the Shiloh or C. Sharps, they are better fit and finished and made to your specs, right here in N.A. Shoot results show these two dominate in LR and sillywet competition.
 
The Shiloh's are gorgeous. But they're also twice the money based on the what I've seen thus far; and there's the ridiculous wait time. I'm not sure how much range time this rifle will see so I'm a little reluctant to spend the extra money up front. If I shoot it enough then I'll probably order a Shiloh and continue to shoot the Pedersoli while I wait.
 
I have one, it is the older model with a 30" barrel in 45-70 cal.
I have five 45-70,s and it could well be the most accurate of the bunch.
The only problem that I have with this gun is that the stock (comb) is so high that the sights need to be removed to clean from the breech end.:( That is a PITA. Though the gun will still hold zero when they are replaced! Mine really likes the gas checked LEE 500 gr. along with smokless powder. Though it will perform with black as well. I think it weigths 12lbs and with the high stock is comfortable to shoot with stout loads.

Pick yourself up one of these sights and you will have no problem with cleaning your rifle without removing the rear sight. This sight was invented by a Dr Goodwin in the late 1800s. He was a target shooter and inventer. The sights are being reproduced. A google search should be able to find one. This one was purchased in England a few years ago.

DSC05509.jpg


DSC05506.jpg
 
Hey Guys:

Check out Bill Goodman (search goodmanguns in Montana) if you want a Shiloh Sharps without the 2.5 year wait times!!!! Ordered my Shiloh #1 Sporter in .45-70 last X-mas and had it in hand in Mid October!!!

It shoots great..........365gr. MT Chamber Cast HP with a gas check, and 52gr. of IMR 4895 4 rounds into .88" at 1800 FPS (100 yards)


Does anyone in Saskatchewan know where to shoot BP Silhouette??
 
Good results, excellent choice of bullets, don't know where you live but they shoot it in P/A, contact AL100 on here and he should be able to put you onto someone....Ben
 
From a shooting buddy of mine, a very good buddy:D, I have the unlimited loan of a Pedersoli Sharps.

Pedersoli1874Sharps45-70.jpg


I haven't used it all that much, yet but from what little I've pushed through it in the way of a variety of cast bullets I've found it shoots fairly well as is. The bottem target is representative of what I've been able to do with it on a few occasions:).

45-70lightcastloads-1.jpg


If I can sweet talk him into eventually parting with it, a 'decent' set of more appropriate sights will be the first order of business.
 
I look forward to it, one can't see too many Sharps pics., I'm sure that Bill Goodman sells alot of Shilohs!!!! My 2 C. Sharps are much deadlier then I am....Ben
 
The Italian sights have a lot of slop in their adj. which need to be repeatable, I have great luck with MVA sights and Red River Sights in WPG(formerly Parts Unknown).
 
The Italian sights have a lot of slop in their adj. which need to be repeatable, I have great luck with MVA sights and Red River Sights in WPG(formerly Parts Unknown).

Thanks Ben. Any specific model or configuration of sight you'd suggest? Oh, and do you have any contact info for Red River Sights? Especially concerning the appropriate sights available for the Pedersoli I have. I took a quick look at their sight but it'll take me a while to work through that one. Also, any site sponsors with a decent product available along that line?

Update:
found the two, MVA & Red River. Still, any recommendations as to model for 'informal' long range shooting? CGN site sponsors handling the product?
 
Last edited:
Johnn:

Check out Buffalo arms in Montana........they have a lot of different sights and I currently have a Kelly Soule rear vernier on mine, just the Sharps blade up front for now.

Kelly makes an awsome sight along with MVA and others...check them out and be prepared to send a little extra cash for the good stuff!!!
 
Johnn:

Check out Buffalo arms in Montana........they have a lot of different sights and I currently have a Kelly Soule rear vernier on mine, just the Sharps blade up front for now.

Kelly makes an awsome sight along with MVA and others...check them out and be prepared to send a little extra cash for the good stuff!!!

:)Will do and thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I received a similar heads up PM last night on MVA. :cool:Again, thanks guys. Now to decide:p.
 
I have a Browning BPCR and found it better than my pedersoli for silhouette it seems to stay acurate longer with the pedersoli I found I had to clean the pedersoli alot more to mantain accuracy \i think the finnish in the bore is not as good as the browning and therefore holds the fouling more and it builds up more instead of being blown out with the next shot.
 
Back
Top Bottom