Alberta Tactical Rifle Issue

I have no specific opinion on this, other than it was a great read on a Friday night. I only wish I'd had the foresight (no pun intended) to open a beer while I read.

I am thoroughly entertained by the OP, ATR's response and the public in general- everyone has such vastly different opinions, what a great world we live in eh?

BTW Robertf- how'd you do in your last competition? Did you get comments on your gun, especially when you said that ATR did the work on it?

C) If they said the barrel is eroded, I'd be inclined to believe them as they don't have much to gain by saying the gun isn't new, but they have a hell of a lot to lose by lying.

The barrel is fine. The gun had only a few rounds through it before shipment. On return, I helped robertf unpack, ran a couple of patches through and had a look at the throat area. Looks minty: shiny, lands are sharp, etc. For benchrest barrels one needs a borescope, but for the difference between newish and beat-up, the Mk1 eyeball and a borelight is fine. I'm not saying anyone is lying, just that the bore is good. Could be any number of reasons for differing reports.

I'm not commenting on the rest of it.

Service aside, which is impeccable, I sleep with my ATRS lower at night. It's warmer than my wife and has a killer magwell flare.

(Love you hunny).

Lol, best post of the thread! And what a thread it is, 25 pages and counting I'm sure! I bought a Colt AR from a fellow CGN'er awhile back and when it arrived, the barrel was sticking out of the box by about 6 inches, (you should have seen the girls face when I picked it up at the P.O.)! . Luckily there was no damage or markings but the packaging was definitely to blame. Therefore, whenever shipping a firearm (or anything of value that can be damaged), I will only send in a hard case with adequate padding. Also I will ensure that if I'm having a firearm sent to me, I want it to come in a proper case and will pay to protect my investment if necessary. It just seems that even though robertf was a complete a$$ about the situation, the whole situation could have been avoided with some foresight.

That being said, what would I have done on a Saturday night if I didn't have such a hilarious thread to read?... Well probably something useful I guess.:rolleyes:

I am so happy this thread has come back to life. I wonder how RobertF's R5 is shooting now - is it worse ? Better ? Oh, I know - it is jinxed cos ATRS 'did something' and now they need to provide a new rifle and compensation for all the missed awards.Laugh2

Wow. Shipping idiots at canada post screwed your rifle and you're pissed at ATRS? Those guys do great work and they wanted to fix your rifle to help ease the pain of having your stuff f@%&$d. Wow.

Best post ever, and still going...

To the OP, your flame has resulted in better advertising for ATRS than money could ever buy. Well done.

To Rick, hats off. A gentlemen, and a scholar.

If I were a gun smith, about half way through that ordeal I would have given up and sent him a new gun as close as possible to what he had provided, including having been fired only 47 times.

To simulate the suspected barrel wear the load I would have used for test firing would be as follows;

240 gr Sierra MKs.
70 gr of varget.
CCI Lg Magnum primers.

At the end of the day, for a new trigger, new finish and highly skilled gun smiths TLC, you could have done a lot worse.

Rick,

Having read yours and the other fellows comments in this thread I do have to agree with the lions share of opinions, that you are/were offering a fair compensation for the situation at hand.

I'm not, however, comfortable with one aspect of the thread. Possibly I'm misreading it?

It seemed as though in your initial rebuttal, you were eager to implicitly state that the customer had committed insurance fraud regarding a trigger.

As seen in these posts:

When the rifle originally arrived here there was damage to the trigger due to your inadequate packaging, and it was NOT a Jewel trigger that was damaged just the factory 1 but my understanding is that you succeeded in claiming for a Jewel.

Your claiming a Jewel trigger was damaged when it was in fact an X Mark concerned me.

What was your accusation based on? The fact that the factory trigger was replaced with a Jewel trigger and nothing more?

When the customer pointed out that he had actually claimed for the factory trigger and paid the difference out of his pocket for a Jewel trigger the accusations subsided into this:

How exactly that all played out I do not know and can not comment other than to he now has a Jewel trigger.

I'm obviously unqualified to comment one way or the other as to how his trigger purchase played out. My question is, were you?

Did I read that right?:D

No you didn't.

I think Rick was well within his rights to offer the resolution he did.

My question lies within his willingness to accuse a customer of something, based on a seeming lack of information on his part.

I'm not Robert. Sadly, I'm not anybody special at all. :(

I'm just another guy with the desire for a customized gun who has been in contact with a few smiths, ATRS included. One who's not willing to send my money to a businessman if (and I stress the "if") he were making strong accusations based on no evidence.

Like I mentioned, I may very well have read it wrong, there's surely more to it than you or I know. This is why I've asked Rick for clarification.

Thank you for caring though. The fact that he has a large number of vehement supporters speaks to his integrity and workmanship, and I can appreciate that.

Kevin Wall.

Rick,

Having read yours and the other fellows comments in this thread I do have to agree with the lions share of opinions, that you are/were offering a fair compensation for the situation at hand.

I'm not, however, comfortable with one aspect of the thread. Possibly I'm misreading it?

It seemed as though in your initial rebuttal, you were eager to implicitly state that the customer had committed insurance fraud regarding a trigger.

As seen in these posts:

What was your accusation based on? The fact that the factory trigger was replaced with a Jewel trigger and nothing more?

When the customer pointed out that he had actually claimed for the factory trigger and paid the difference out of his pocket for a Jewel trigger the accusations subsided into this:

I'm obviously unqualified to comment one way or the other as to how his trigger purchase played out. My question is, were you?

WOW and here I thought this crap was finally over and done with.

My comments were based on what was communicated to me both by phone and email by the owner of the rifle at that time. HE mailed the barrelled action originally, so HE had to initiate the postal claim. He told me that he was claiming for a Jewel trigger despite the fact that it had an X mark on it.
Now I am not all that smart, but I can only assume he got some form of compensation from C Post as he now claims to have a Jewel trigger.
IF in fact he did as he suggested perpetrate a fraudulent claim on C Post I do not know but I was lead directly by his admissions to believe he intended to capitalize on his poor packing.
Take from that what you will.

WOW and here I thought this crap was finally over and done with.

My comments were based on what was communicated to me both by phone and email by the owner of the rifle at that time. HE mailed the barrelled action originally, so HE had to initiate the postal claim. He told me that he was claiming for a Jewel trigger despite the fact that it had an X mark on it.
Now I am not all that smart, but I can only assume he got some form of compensation from C Post as he now claims to have a Jewel trigger.
IF in fact he did as he suggested perpetrate a fraudulent claim on C Post I do not know but I was lead directly by his admissions to believe he intended to capitalize on his poor packing.
Take from that what you will.

That clarifies things Rick. Hearing that he specifically stated to yourself his intentions to try and claim a Jewel trigger through an insurance scam completely justifies your statements to that end. Like I said, I'm nobody but a potential customer and the idea that somebody would make accusations like that based on speculation was troubling.

Thanks for taking the time to clear it up, in what must be an annoying thread.

Kevin Wall

Back
Top Bottom