308s worth buying?

When I first joined our Moose camp, everyone hunted with a 308 but one. and all the 308's were Browning lever guns, except my Savage 99, and a friends 100 Winchester semi. Only one guy carried an 06.

It was never an issue, and the dead moose never complained.

I'd have nothing but 308's, but where's the fun in that?

I generally, when hunting at home, switch rifles and cartridges regularly. Even at moose camp I will have at least two choices.
 
Are 308 rifles really as good as I glorify them out to be in my head? Folks try and say you need magnum caliber rifles to hunt big game but I honestly believe that a good ol 308 can take down any animal in north America efficiently. Am I mistaken? Should I be leaning towards the 7mm rem mag or a 30-06?
Its a good efficient cartridge and will work on anything in north America with proper bullets used in appropriate ranges, people were doing so with the 303, 30 30 and 30 40 krag for 50 years before the 308 showed up....im of the opinion that the magnum fever is fueled by people who expect to be able to shoot something in the ass at 500 yards and have it die on the spot.
 
If you want to prepare specifically to stop a charging grizzly, or you’re one of these clowns that goes out hoping to get a 900 yard shot on an elk, then yeah maybe look for something other than a 308. But for any sane hunting scenario, it’s fine. Call me crazy but I don’t think there’s an animal walking the earth that will take a good vital hit from a well-constructed .308 150gr bullet at 2000 fps and still be breathing 10 minutes later.
It’s been done so many times on elephants with the .303 British that there’s no need for further testing.
 
I really don't perceive a lot of difference between the 308 and the 303 it's just an update as far as I'm concerned I'm not really a 308 guy my son is I'm a 7mm nut but hey that's the way it goes I don't think I'd ever feel under equipped with a 308 all things being equal
 
Back
Top Bottom