charged with carring antique gun?

It's pathetic that instead of discussing what handgun would be the most efficient to pack in the boonies, we are resigned to packing the least anemic of a number of "antiques" chambered in underpowered cartridges.

Thinking of the unsuspecting bears I've shot with .308's and 50-70s, I'm trying to imagine taking and angry one on with my .450 Tranter Army. This comes under the category of "worst possible scenario".
 
Last edited:
It's pathetic that instead of discussing what handgun would be the most efficient to pack in the boonies, we are resigned to packing the least of a number of "antiques" chambered in underpowered cartridges.

Thinking of the unsuspecting bears I've shot with .308's and 50-70s, I'm trying to imagine taking and angry one on with my .450 Tranter Army. This comes under the category of "worst possible scenario".

It IS pathetic, isn't it...?
 
Because people are always trying to find a loophole to defeat the law.

MD;

See post #56... (those reasons listed there) are reasons to use the Antique pistols instead of carrying a shotgun. Has nothing to do with "people.. always trying to find a loophole to defeat the law" That would be Smite, and carrying an Antique pistol isn't about carrying to smite the law. It's (fortunately & un-fortunately) the only Avenue we have in instances we can't have a long-arm along. Simple as that.

If the Firearms program allowed a permit for ordinary Canadian Hunters, Outdoorsmen & Ranch-hands to carry the way their permit program allows Trappers, Guides and Prospectors to carry... we'd glady use that Avenue. As it sits, the Antiques are what we've got. Have them revise the list of permit-able occupations so we can carry modern pistols, and the Antiques could stay home. Til then though.. it is what it is


Zero to do with defeating the law "just-because"
 
MD;

See post #56... (those reasons listed there) are reasons to use the Antique pistols instead of carrying a shotgun. Has nothing to do with "people.. always trying to find a loophole to defeat the law" That would be Smite, and carrying an Antique pistol isn't about carrying to smite the law. It's (fortunately & un-fortunately) the only Avenue we have in instances we can't have a long-arm along. Simple as that.

If the Firearms program allowed a permit for ordinary Canadian Hunters, Outdoorsmen & Ranch-hands to carry the way their permit program allows Trappers, Guides and Prospectors to carry... we'd glady use that Avenue. As it sits, the Antiques are what we've got. Have them revise the list of permit-able occupations so we can carry modern pistols, and the Antiques could stay home. Til then though.. it is what it is


Zero to do with defeating the law "just-because"

Nicely written.

Thanks.
 
Mister that's 2 in a row you hit square on the head!

if you add a grumpy ol black bear sow with 2 cubs to the bolded part below, you will have my reason for packin when I fenced through the west bush on my home 1/4.

Because sometimes your hands are full, sometimes the instant may not grant quick access to a long-arm tied to a back-pack, or maybe the shotgun was left in camp with other members of the party for their protection (& you gone out of camp with hands full of horses lead-ropes making your way to the creek for water at the end of the day) or maybe because you're at a secluded stream fishing/with rod in hand/knee deep in the water and the shotgun against a tree on shore next to the lunch-bucket... OR, possibly you're in the Farm & Ranch line of work, foots-mobile & repairing a stretch of boggy fence in a block of remote pasture; leather belt full of staples around your waist, a hammer in one hand and wire-stretcher over your opposite shoulder (whatta ya know, no-place left to put a shotgun)

These are a few quick-ones that come to MY mind, where that Antique pistol suddenly has a place & reason. Pistol allows a person in every-one of the above mentioned scenario's protection times that long-guns, be them rifle or shotgun cannot quite do the job.

And I'll echo my same further comment as usual on the subject, it-is ridiculous we must fall unto the Antiques to serve us instead of modern-guns with such a permit that would permit-us carry in the bush and in Rural Canada. Since it's the Antiques that we've got though... and until someone understands that a modern "restricted" can actually serve an ordinary Canadian Outdoorsman /Hunter/or Ranch worker the purpose they are permitted to serve Guides/Prospectors and Trappers.. we use what we can. The right Antique can serve a person pretty well until that time.

MD;

See post #56... (those reasons listed there) are reasons to use the Antique pistols instead of carrying a shotgun. Has nothing to do with "people.. always trying to find a loophole to defeat the law" That would be Smite, and carrying an Antique pistol isn't about carrying to smite the law. It's (fortunately & un-fortunately) the only Avenue we have in instances we can't have a long-arm along. Simple as that.

If the Firearms program allowed a permit for ordinary Canadian Hunters, Outdoorsmen & Ranch-hands to carry the way their permit program allows Trappers, Guides and Prospectors to carry... we'd glady use that Avenue. As it sits, the Antiques are what we've got. Have them revise the list of permit-able occupations so we can carry modern pistols, and the Antiques could stay home. Til then though.. it is what it is


Zero to do with defeating the law "just-because"
 
I was at a Car show a year or so ago and it was a huge swap meet . well I noticed this old Military jeep parked and I walked up to it and sitting inside was a Tommy gun a Lee Enfield rifle . I looked around the there was'nt anyone in sight . well all of a sudden this guy walked up and he had a revolver in a holster on his side and I knew it was an old Enfield revolver. so I questioned him on how legal it was and he said no problem.

well the way I look at it is don't advertise and people like that could ruin it for the rest of us. I'll bet the guy who had that revolver in this post did'nt even have a Pal .
 
I was at a Car show a year or so ago and it was a huge swap meet . well I noticed this old Military jeep parked and I walked up to it and sitting inside was a Tommy gun a Lee Enfield rifle . I looked around the there was'nt anyone in sight . well all of a sudden this guy walked up and he had a revolver in a holster on his side and I knew it was an old Enfield revolver. so I questioned him on how legal it was and he said no problem.

well the way I look at it is don't advertise and people like that could ruin it for the rest of us. I'll bet the guy who had that revolver in this post did'nt even have a Pal .

Did you even think to ask if they were dewats?
 
If someone were arrested on Crown Land for carrying an antique revolver, wouldn't the officer have to be a Northwest Mounted Police Constable, and wouldn't you have to be sentenced to gaol, instead of jail?

:rolleyes:
 
MD;
If the Firearms program allowed a permit for ordinary Canadian Hunters, Outdoorsmen & Ranch-hands to carry the way their permit program allows Trappers, Guides and Prospectors to carry... we'd glady use that Avenue. "

It is not quite as simple as that; based on a friend who is a trapper, he has to earn more than 50% of his income from trapping (he could not get a permit because he only earned 40 or 45% from trapping) and the location has to be acceptably far from civilization and if the gun is for bear protection, it has to be one of a very small number of cartridges which are acceptable to the firearms office

cheers mooncoon
 
It is not quite as simple as that; based on a friend who is a trapper, he has to earn more than 50% of his income from trapping (he could not get a permit because he only earned 40 or 45% from trapping) and the location has to be acceptably far from civilization and if the gun is for bear protection, it has to be one of a very small number of cartridges which are acceptable to the firearms office

cheers mooncoon

The point I was driving home is simply that that-list should be ammended and updated for a broader applicant base. Albeit for those trappers not meeting 50%+ critera too.. and in response to the comment I was responding, my quote regarding "who" qualifies for modern carry (today) was the proper way to bring about an understanding

The numbers they use for who & why they qualify is a bunch of BS in itself, little different topic than asked about to begin with. Just sayin'
 
I found this in the Windsor Star.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-unconstitutionally-stopped-by-windsor-police

Then I happened on this thread. Compare the gun in the link above to the one in the link in the first post of this thread. Is it pure coincidence that 2 punks happened to find the same antique .32 rimfire revolvers?
Or is somebody reproducing this model, making it easy to find one?
Except for the fact that one appears to be in better condition than the other, one could almost suspect that the police are using stock photos.
I just took a closer look. They're not quite identical. Different cylinder release. Still odd coincidence.
 
Last edited:
As soon as you commit a crime with a antique revolver it becomes modern in the eyes of the law.
so he was carrying it concealed that makes this a prohib handgun in the eyes of the law and carrying it in city limits to boot id say ohmar ohmar is fuked and rightly so LOL
 
Note also that the according to that article he was charged with (among the other offences including carrying of a concealed weapon) "possession of a firearm while prohibited " not possession of a prohibited weapon - As Dingus says, these are still firearms. They are simply conditionally excepted (but not exempted) from certain aspects of the Firearms Act - but the Criminal Code still applies and indeed, if you do something stupid then portions of the FA that might otherwise be exempt, can still also apply.
 
Back
Top Bottom