WTF is this 45ACP single shot pistol

Even though I think it is old, without any maker's name and no apparent proof marks, I can't see any justification in saying that it is pre 1898. Assuming there are no concealed proofs, that rules out Britain and Belgium as a source and probably Germany and France.
A smooth bore could simply reflect a gun that was intended for very close use

Also in reference to the Stevens tip up, the mechanism is similar but not the same and on the opposite side of the receiver.

cheers mooncoon
 
some googleing and it looks maybe like it was made from a Belgian 410 rifle .

I think you are right on, I saw a gun like this at the club one day. It was from a collection from a member that passed away. It was a old pistol grip 410 with a 12 inch barrel. I think this is one of the same, but someone cut down the barrel.
 
"...tells me it was shot lots with black powder..." Or corrosively primed ammo. Looks like a criminal butchered a Marble's Gamegetter into an illegal handgun to me.
An antique it ain't if it'll take a .45 ACP.
 
"...tells me it was shot lots with black powder..." Or corrosively primed ammo. Looks like a criminal butchered a Marble's Gamegetter into an illegal handgun to me.
An antique it ain't if it'll take a .45 ACP.

If it was originally chambered for .45acp that would knock it outside of antique contention all right, for the simple fact that the .45 acp wasn't introduced until the early 1900s. If it was rechambered to .45acp from something else, then it may still have been made prior to 1898 and rechambered later on. Impossible to say which is correct with this one.

I wonder why someone would chamber a break open single shot for rimless .45acp when a rimmed cartridge would have been so much more practical. Very Interesting little gun.
 
Looks like a criminal butchered a Marble's Gamegetter into an illegal handgun to me.
An antique it ain't if it'll take a .45 ACP.

It absolutely is not a Marble's Gamegetter. I don't have a photo of one handy but they look quite different. Most conspicuous is they have two barrels and a knurled knob on the hammer to selectively strike the two firing pins.

The issue is not 45 acp but rather if the gun was originally chambered in 45 acp (which seems unlikely). 45 acp would have to be on the no go list for the gun to become modern on the basis of caliber

cheers mooncoon
 
H&R Handy Gun in .410 looks pretty close... maybe something similar that someone modded?

handy.jpg
 
It doesn't look very similar to me, other than both being break actions.

Starpuss's pics show a metal grip frame, which suggest it was made as a handgun originally. A handgun made from a break type shotgun usually has a solid wood pistol grip and no metal frame, like the H&R you posted.
 
It would sure be nice if we could see a picture of whatever the heck it is that we're all yakking about.

Only single-shot .45ACP I ever heard of was the Liberator. Am I to assume that we are talking about a Liberator? They were not made until WW2.

.
 
Can you see the photos in the first post?


It would sure be nice if we could see a picture of whatever the heck it is that we're all yakking about.

Only single-shot .45ACP I ever heard of was the Liberator. Am I to assume that we are talking about a Liberator? They were not made until WW2.

.
 
Back
Top Bottom