To your credit you pointed this out early on. Fortunately all worked out, and Sportee has one tough-ass revolver.
I agree - determine what a max load should be based on similar published loads and the known strength of your gun. Given that the case is just slightly larger than the 38 Special (blown out), you can safely say that using any 38 Special load would result in pressures slightly less than for the 38 Special, due to the larger case size and larger bore. When all goes well, the chrony will not show any surprises, rather will confirm what you had expected.
No offence to you, Sportee, we are all happy no-one was injured, but using a loading data chart to cross reference the load would have prevented the mishap. I know there is little data available for obsolete calibers, but a look at similiar calibers and bullet weights would have revealed the likely balistics of the load.
I know this has helped me to not make the same mistake..... I hope we can all learn from it.
Sportee, did you chrono the Pyrodex load? That might give us something to compare your chrono readings with Venturino's, who got 809 fps.
I was reading last night that alot of guys are useing Trail Boss in there 45 70 loads up to 13 Grs in there lever guns and getting great groups.
Thats intresting as i shoot a Antique Martini in 45 70 and wanted a lighter load as the stuff i shoot is 1600 +FPS stuff with a 400Gr bullet.
The TB loads are light but at +1100 FPS will still do the deed up close to 100Yds i figger.
I'm very nervous about Trail Boss in an antique pistol. It is a very fast powder with a very sharp peak pressure spike. If a fellow uses it in an antique pistol, I'd recommend staying well below original black powder velocities.

I bet the manufactureer or your not working chrony will help you out if you let them know you have been having real troubles with it. Worth asking them to look at it....and look for a new chrony



























