No wonder Remington went bankrupt

Sorry, did you mean to say the trigger mechanism was replaced? It sounds like the whole rifle was replaced.

Some good reading in this thread for the late comers..

Recently put a limbsaver on the 1917 458WM and did a “recoil-reducer”… the comment about 6.5 shooters headed for the dark continent seems relevant (accurate) now about me for some reason.. maybe my hot loaded 9.3x62 can be my bid for penance when going out this year.

Haha.

Trigger was fixed , the rifle is very accurate & doesn’t seem to be picky about ammo .
 
Remington "Walker" type triggers had issues with the sear not engaging properly if they were dirty or not adjusted properly.

It was a known issue for decades, and could have been fixed cheaply, but "greed" got in the way.

Remington finally went to their X series triggers, which are drop in replacements for the older Walker types.

The thing is, they are a "heavy" trigger IMHO, and the only way to make them acceptable is to replace them with something better.

The issues with triggers weren't just at Remington, as other trigger types will suffer similar maladies if they aren't kept clean or their adjustments allow them not to have positive sear engagement.

Walker sears were "rounded" on the edge contacting the sear, when this wore or engagement was adjusted beyond the flat spot of the face, the sears would "slide" off the rounded section and allow the firing pin to travel to the primer.

One of the first things I used to do with all of my Remington rifles was to stone the leading edge of the sear to a razor sharp edge. The second next thing was to insert the assembled bolt back into the receiver, set the bolt and drop it four feet on its buttpad onto a concrete floor, at least 10 times to make sure it wouldn't release at the setting I was happy with. I also honed the contact surface on the cocking piece to a razor edge.
 
One of the first things I used to do with all of my Remington rifles was to stone the leading edge of the sear to a razor sharp edge. The second next thing was to insert the assembled bolt back into the receiver, set the bolt and drop it four feet on its buttpad onto a concrete floor, at least 10 times to make sure it wouldn't release at the setting I was happy with. I also honed the contact surface on the cocking piece to a razor edge.

One of things, I liked to do, was hold them by the barrel and baseball bat swing them into a hard maple tree, about 10 to 12 times, or until all I was holding was the barrel. Two points with this technique; One, it has a 100% fix-it rate. Two, wear padded gloves, the impact vibration is very hard on finger joints, particularly if you have any arthritis in your hands...
 
Remington "Walker" type triggers had issues with the sear not engaging properly if they were dirty or not adjusted properly.

It was a known issue for decades, and could have been fixed cheaply, but "greed" got in the way.

Remington finally went to their X series triggers, which are drop in replacements for the older Walker types.

The thing is, they are a "heavy" trigger IMHO, and the only way to make them acceptable is to replace them with something better.

The issues with triggers weren't just at Remington, as other trigger types will suffer similar maladies if they aren't kept clean or their adjustments allow them not to have positive sear engagement.

Walker sears were "rounded" on the edge contacting the sear, when this wore or engagement was adjusted beyond the flat spot of the face, the sears would "slide" off the rounded section and allow the firing pin to travel to the primer.

One of the first things I used to do with all of my Remington rifles was to stone the leading edge of the sear to a razor sharp edge. The second next thing was to insert the assembled bolt back into the receiver, set the bolt and drop it four feet on its buttpad onto a concrete floor, at least 10 times to make sure it wouldn't release at the setting I was happy with. I also honed the contact surface on the cocking piece to a razor edge.
Remind me not to buy a rifle of you
 
One of things, I liked to do, was hold them by the barrel and baseball bat swing them into a hard maple tree, about 10 to 12 times, or until all I was holding was the barrel. Two points with this technique; One, it has a 100% fix-it rate. Two, wear padded gloves, the impact vibration is very hard on finger joints, particularly if you have any arthritis in your hands...

Ahh-haa, Ricky-Le-Tete scores again…..😂

IMG_1407.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom