It would be good to get someone who does not have a PAL or POL to email and ask for an antique letter for some antique on the web that is for sale, say in the USA. Then see what they say when that person tells them that he/she does not have a PAL or POL.
It might be an idea from now on to get someone else to get the letter for you who didn't mind doing it. (I must say that I am sorely tempted by David Doyle's offer, if he would change the case of beer to a bottle of Scotch.) There is nothing illegal about that. Or another idea is that when they ask for PAL or POL, just tell them you prefer to keep that information private.
I can see that if they implement this, that there will be a lot fewer requests for antique letters. A better route would be to simply make your own letter that quotes the relevant portion of the law, and that both quotes and includes a reference that shows that your antique is indeed an antique and carry that around instead. One side of one page; just as handy as an antique letter.
It might be an idea from now on to get someone else to get the letter for you who didn't mind doing it. (I must say that I am sorely tempted by David Doyle's offer, if he would change the case of beer to a bottle of Scotch.) There is nothing illegal about that. Or another idea is that when they ask for PAL or POL, just tell them you prefer to keep that information private.
I can see that if they implement this, that there will be a lot fewer requests for antique letters. A better route would be to simply make your own letter that quotes the relevant portion of the law, and that both quotes and includes a reference that shows that your antique is indeed an antique and carry that around instead. One side of one page; just as handy as an antique letter.



















































