308s worth buying?

I’ve been thinking for a while now about a 338 federal, just have to find the right 308 donor…
i was holding out for a decent older M77 non tang safety but everyone wants full retail prices for those used it seems LOL
So I opted for a new stainless rem 700 action and built off that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
Well having owned both and killed game with both there is no difference ! 308 Win 150 TTSX or 338 Fed 160 TTSX
Can go up too 200 with the 308W and 225 s with the 338 F
Game will never know the difference 🤷‍♂️. But the 338 F is Kooler 😋 but the 308 is MORE PRACTICAL. 100 -200 grers
Better BC better SD bullets . Best to have them BOTH 🤪😃
I think for the most part you are probably right in your assessment.
I don't own any .308 bolt guns but i do have a 338win mag so the cross compatability of bullets on the reloading bench was a big part of my choice to pursue the .338 fed. With the cost of components these days , the cross compatability thing is kind of the theme with the calibers I'm choosing. I also like being able to launch 210gr nosler partitions at 2650fps , bit of peace of mind while in known grizz country hunting deer.
 
Are the M77 “Tang’ers” really that bad, or is it just interweb banter that’s given them a bad rap?

I have a tang’er and thus far have not experienced any issues with it
 
Are the M77 “Tang’ers” really that bad, or is it just interweb banter that’s given them a bad rap?

I have a tang’er and thus far have not experienced any issues with it
I’ve owned a bunch of M77 tang safety rifles in 22-250 243 270 7 RM 308 338 WM well 5 that I remember
I like the action I like the tang safety but those rifles had many years of accuracy problems due to Sh**tty. Barrels
Do a google search . But some were Excellent my std model 22 “ 308 was an excellent shooter .
 
Last edited:
I’ve owned a bunch of M77 tang safety rifles in 22-250 243 270 7 RM 308 338 WM well 5 that I remember
I like the action I like the tang safety but those rifles had many years of accuracy problems due to Sh**tty. Barrels
Do a google search . But some were Excellent my std model 22 “ 308 was an excellent shooter .
Ya, just wondering if it was an actual thing or interweb hype per say

I have three 78s. Two short (358Win & 308) and one 30-06.

They are getting harder to find but still a good deal. I like them.

Would you say the 78’s are an equal to the Win 70 Ranger models? a buddy has had one for decades, seems to function and do what it needs to even as a no frills entry unit
 
Would you say the 78’s are an equal to the Win 70 Ranger models? a buddy has had one for decades, seems to function and do what it needs to even as a no frills entry unit
I've not had much experience with the Ranger outside of handling them once in a while. The 78s are very smooth 700 actions and make a good start for a custom gun or a beater as is. They are usually priced lower than a similar 700.
 
Back
Top Bottom