Ultra Short is what the 44 mag was called.Speaking of .44s, many years ago I saw one in left hand. I suspect that would be pretty rare.
I've been working on a couple. Acquired a nice .308 estate rifle from which the bolt had been lost. Installed a bolt that I had repaired (detached handle). The other is a real bitser. Bought a barreled receiver in .22-.250, because I had a bolt and the rest of the parts including a magazine. In both cases, headspace is OK - can feel the NO GO.
Left over, I have a .22-.250 receiver and a repaired bolt. Handle had been broken off. I installed a handle for a 110 Savage. Instead of the handle being stuck in a hole on the side, the collar wraps around the rear of the bolt body. Someone mentioned a .45ACP. The slot on the bottom of the receiver clears a 1911 magazine. This would be a good action for such a project. I have a .45ACP reamer - should keep my eyes open for a barrel.
I've reinstalled handles on about 20 788 bolts. These things cannot be abused.
They are also not a good choice for hot loads. Not a matter of strength, but rather bolt compression and case stretching. Hot load = hard extraction = case stretching. If there is hard extraction, do not muscle the bolt handle...
I think there are at least 3 788 receivers. Short and long. Short in two versions for .222/.223 and .22-.250. Different width magazine openings. Long for .243 through .308. Don't know about .30-30 and .44 receivers. Did they use their own unique ones?
I think it is about time for someone to do a run of 788 magazines. Darn things aren't common and are expensive when found.

I’ve owned a TRUCK load of Remmys over the years and NEVER owned or even Shot a M788![]()
![]()
WELL ! Things ChangeI now own a Rem M788 222 24 “ barrel . Bluing is pretty good - Stock needs refinishing but is Easy Peasy on this model with no checkering . I’m gonna get the barrel shortened to 18.5 “ Soon . The stock will get refinished in about March .The sights have being removed which I would have done anyhow
I’m looking to purchase a spare mag for it too if you know off one for a REASONABLE price . Any one good at dating a M788 ser# 6173152 X X on the barrel ! Thxs RJ
Thanks Anyhow DanSorry Jim. Only 788 mags I have left are for the 308 family of cartridges. Start haunting the gunshows, ebay, etc. - dan
Peecos - I’ve owned 2 M600 Rems and they were both 18.5 “ 14 twist barrels and both shot Very Well with 40-55 gr bullets .I wouldn’t chop your barrel down to 18.5”. Unless there’s some issue at the muzzle. If it’s a 14 twist you’ll have trouble with stability and chase your tail. The easiest to tune in my experience is 24-26”
My 600 in 222 prefers 52 gr bthp's. - danPeecos - I’ve owned 2 M600 Rems and they were both 18.5 “ 14 twist barrels and both shot Very Well with 40-55 gr bullets .![]()
Still have my 7mm-08 carbine, fitted a canjar trigger. That and my 22-243 Middlestead are the only two 788's I have left. - danBump thread
I have a 308 carbine, i'm on the market for a 308 22inch and a 7mm-08 carbine. Nice little rifles!
That was a deal breaker for me tooMy M788 is GONE ! I had NO LOVE for the crappy mag system![]()



























