Remington 788 - What do you have?

Speaking of .44s, many years ago I saw one in left hand. I suspect that would be pretty rare.
I've been working on a couple. Acquired a nice .308 estate rifle from which the bolt had been lost. Installed a bolt that I had repaired (detached handle). The other is a real bitser. Bought a barreled receiver in .22-.250, because I had a bolt and the rest of the parts including a magazine. In both cases, headspace is OK - can feel the NO GO.
Left over, I have a .22-.250 receiver and a repaired bolt. Handle had been broken off. I installed a handle for a 110 Savage. Instead of the handle being stuck in a hole on the side, the collar wraps around the rear of the bolt body. Someone mentioned a .45ACP. The slot on the bottom of the receiver clears a 1911 magazine. This would be a good action for such a project. I have a .45ACP reamer - should keep my eyes open for a barrel.
I've reinstalled handles on about 20 788 bolts. These things cannot be abused.
They are also not a good choice for hot loads. Not a matter of strength, but rather bolt compression and case stretching. Hot load = hard extraction = case stretching. If there is hard extraction, do not muscle the bolt handle...
I think there are at least 3 788 receivers. Short and long. Short in two versions for .222/.223 and .22-.250. Different width magazine openings. Long for .243 through .308. Don't know about .30-30 and .44 receivers. Did they use their own unique ones?
I think it is about time for someone to do a run of 788 magazines. Darn things aren't common and are expensive when found.
Ultra Short is what the 44 mag was called.
The 30-30 fits into the 222, 223 stock I believe. I just added a 30-30 to the collection.
Boyds has the breakdown in their configurator.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 131510.jpg
 
I’ve owned a TRUCK load of Remmys over the years and NEVER owned or even Shot a M788 :rolleyes: f:P:

WELL ! Things Change 🤪 I now own a Rem M788 222 24 “ barrel . Bluing is pretty good - Stock needs refinishing but is Easy Peasy on this model with no checkering . I’m gonna get the barrel shortened to 18.5 “ Soon . The stock will get refinished in about March .The sights have being removed which I would have done anyhow 🤷‍♂️ I’m looking to purchase a spare mag for it too if you know off one for a REASONABLE price . Any one good at dating a M788 ser# 6173152 X X on the barrel ! Thxs RJ
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7654.jpeg
    IMG_7654.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7652.jpeg
    IMG_7652.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7651.jpeg
    IMG_7651.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7650.jpeg
    IMG_7650.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I wouldn’t chop your barrel down to 18.5”. Unless there’s some issue at the muzzle. If it’s a 14 twist you’ll have trouble with stability and chase your tail. The easiest to tune in my experience is 24-26”
 
Sorry Jim. Only 788 mags I have left are for the 308 family of cartridges. Start haunting the gunshows, ebay, etc. - dan
Thanks Anyhow Dan 😊 My Buddy Crane Pete picked up a New mag for Me today along with a pair of new weaver bases . 👍😊
Also from my EE want AD gunrunner100 on here contacted me and he has some too to sell 👍
 
Last edited:
I wouldn’t chop your barrel down to 18.5”. Unless there’s some issue at the muzzle. If it’s a 14 twist you’ll have trouble with stability and chase your tail. The easiest to tune in my experience is 24-26”
Peecos - I’ve owned 2 M600 Rems and they were both 18.5 “ 14 twist barrels and both shot Very Well with 40-55 gr bullets . 👍
 
Last edited:
I’ve posted this in another thread but it’s a 788 and who doesn’t like pictures.

Carbon six barrel in 6.5CM, custom floor plate, custom trigger (position moved forward 30mm approx for shorter OAL). Stock is ultralight balsa wrapped in CF, pillar’d and CF bedded. 4th hole drilled and tapped on scope mount, and EGW rail. 1st gen strike eagle (Vortex)

Edit: I have two mags for it, I read that bench shooters would take two mags, cut/weld and basically double capacity, been meaning to do this but haven’t gotten around to it. Maybe I’ll secure a third first in case it’s finicky and so I have a spare.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8158.png
    IMG_8158.png
    773.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I’ve got a 6mm. Fun rifle but due to lack of ammo I haven’t used it much. Wish I could find a stash.

Once i got a borescope, i discovered its pretty fire cracked in the first inch or so. Not the prettiest bore anymore. But it still seems to shoot very good.

What would you do with it? Rebore? Rebarrel? Or just use it as is?

-Ive also got its little brother the 580 22lr.
 
Back
Top Bottom