sources for used flintlock fowlers? since quality new ones are way too expensive.

Caps are often easier to buy than flints, which will likely have to be ordered.
Reliability and versatility? There's a reason that percussion guns rapidly replaced flint guns.

I have a James Wilkinson 16 bore flintlock shotgun. Obtained a photocopy of the page of the Wilkinson ledger recording this gun. It was entered Nov. 7, 1822. There are 15 guns on the page, covering almost 2 months of production. Two thirds of them are percussion. That was 1822, and already the market for top grade English sporting guns had shifted to favour percussion.

well, I'm not interested in a caplock, I want a flintlock. I think I already made that clear in my other reply. I know what you're saying, I've shot a caplock, they are fine guns. but what I'm looking for is a flintlock and you aren't going to steer me away from it. I just like the look and traditional feel of them too. I know that I can get a caplock rifle for around $400-$600 from many companies, but that's not what I want at the moment. maybe in the future, but my question was clearly intended for flintlocks and my previous reply should have secured that.
 
Of course you want a flintlock, that's great. It was your comment about reliability and versatility that I found interesting.
Incidentally, I have fired a flint musket using "flints" I knapped out of quartz-like rock I found.
Finding a quality smoothbore for $500-$600 might be possible. But for some reason, there are very few good smoothbores made relative to the number of rifles.
Only one I'm aware of right now that is even close to this is one of the repro. Pedersoli trade guns @$700. Pedersolis aren't bad guns, so this would be a decent enough smoothbore. Although as far as being an acccurate repro. of a trade gun, its leaves a bit to be desired.
 
Only one I'm aware of right now that is even close to this is one of the repro. Pedersoli trade guns @$700. Pedersolis aren't bad guns, so this would be a decent enough smoothbore. Although as far as being an acccurate repro. of a trade gun, its leaves a bit to be desired.
I looked into Pedersoli, all the models I've seen that companies here in Canada sell are in the $1000-$1200 range, or even to $1500. I never looked in depth into the US suppliers, but it seems like at least a few sell them for generally the same price and the shipping costs would definitely make them a more expensive option.
 
Have you looked at thegunworks.com Probably the largest inventory you'll find :eek: These folks bring a couple of hundred firearms to a Rendezvous.
Cheers nessy.
 
I'm going to start this one up again. can anyone steer me in the right direction for a custom muzzleloader maker who makes guns at a great deal? I'm on a budget($700) and looking for a smooth bore fowler at a barrel length less than 30" and at .62 caliber or larger. it could be considered a canoe gun, but definitions can be tricky. needs to be flintlock and the stock being made of a dependable hardwood, not garbage like the Teak the Indians use on their "guns".
you people can call me cheap, but this is all I can afford at the moment and I'm wanting a gun that I can use as a shotgun, not a rifle. thanks for the future replies.
 
Middle ### trading company http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MDBF.shtml. They have a double flintlock shotgun for 750.

do you have any idea how many bad reviews middlesex has had? I already seen many posts on other threads on here that explain in detail how bad their firearms are, including case hardened frizzens(which wear out quickly), non-drilled vent holes(meaning the barrel has never been certified for safety) and the wood of the stocks are teak, essentially garbage.
 
You get what you at for!
so to get a quality smoothbore, you need to pay $1000+ while other more sophisticated firearms like remingtons, marlins, winchesters and brownings are often half or less of the price? I don't really understand how they can justify it.
 
The market for blackpowder is small compared to the market for bolt action hunting rifles. Thats why the price is so different. Its simple supply and demand like what I said earlier about kilt makers.

This is the market, you cant change it and have to decide.

These are your options for a carbine

1. India gun for around 500-600 they are not the greatest but arent the worst guns ever made as people seem to make them out to be.
2. Kit gun 600-800, sitting fox, track of the wolf, jim chambers, the rifle
Shoppe etc
3. Pre finished kit gun usually 900-1000, the amount of work invovled in building a gun especially blackpowder ones more than justifies this cost.
4. Custom guns 1000+
5. Bide your time and look for something on here with a wtb add, also sign up on gunbroker as you can get some pretty good deals on there and yes you can have flintlocks with the hole drilled shipped to canada legally.


Cheers, McLean
 
I suggest looking at the listings of used guns on Track of the wolf, they usely have alot listed and they are great people to deal with.
 
I agree, track of the wolf is a really great company. You could call them and ask too. They could probably point you in the right direction.

Mclean
 
here that explain in detail how bad their firearms are, including case hardened frizzens(which wear out quickly), non-drilled vent holes(meaning the barrel has never been certified for safety) and the wood of the stocks are teak, essentially garbage.

Virtually all import muzzle loaders use case hardened parts. To get high carbon parted lock you need to buy a quality US lock. I believe TC lock parts but not necessarily frizzens are high carbon steel.

While most complete european guns require proofing and proof stamping, most US guns do not carry a proof mark but I believe random barrels are pulled from the line and tested to confirm that they meet standards

I am not sure that I would call teak a garbage wood and certainly wood call it a better wood than some of the other import woods

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for and if you want a quality gun and particularly quality lock you need to be looking at US made components and probably paying more than $600

cheers mooncoon
 
MY suggestion would be to contact Al Parker of Parkers guns in Strathroy Ontario. He has been building or dealing in Black powder of all kinds for probably around 70 years now. He really does know his stuff I can tell you for sure and has a good supply of the product you may be interested in. His prices are very fair I can attest to as well.
 
Blueglass, im always interested in finding new makers and dealers. I did a google search and couldnt come up with anything on parkers guns or al parker.

Would you have a web address or contact info. ?

Cheers, McLean
 
flint fowlers

hi, i have one of the loyalist arms fusil de chasse, basically a 20 gauge
its not top quality by no means, but it hasnt let me down, sure fire frizzens, and gd accuracy with a patched ball and gd patterns with shot

you can go to the loyalist arms webpage and view his inventory
blair is a gd guy to deal with, stands behind his products
 
the wood of the stocks are teak, essentially garbage.

had a yugo mauser with a teak stock once. Far from garbage. Bit of a step up from the maple that most flintlock fowlers sport. If you can afford a good piece of euro walnut then by all means look down your nose at teak but if your gonna end up with a piece of plain 50 dollar american maple I don't see the problem.

Put a few hours of sanding and some teak oil into a teak stock and you likely will love the deep warmth and strength of it.


Most of those negative reviews you read about MSVT on U.S BP forums come from guys currying favor with the 'builder set' or just plin old angry racism. Often they will ridicule the curry DOM barrels and then in another post somewhere will herald a domestic builder who uses DOM, they will point to a poorly hardened curry frizzen and then in another post herald an L&R lock which ALWAYS requires advanced tuning.

IMHO for the money of a new MSVT you can, with patience, find a superior used gun and would suggest you just use patience but if you gotta have something now get something from MSVT that you can't get anywhere else, Like a SXS 20 gauge or one of thier other neat offerings.
 
Most of those negative reviews you read about MSVT on U.S BP forums come from guys currying favor with the 'builder set' or just plain old angry racism. .

While such reasons I am sure exist, there are at least a few of us who consider them cheaply and in the case of Indian guns, poorly made. Lest I be lumped in with your group of negative reviewers, I have great admiration for the sniders and similar guns made by hand in years gone by. I wish I had a tenth of their ability. I say in days gone by, because in the recent video of the gun shop, the workers appeared to be finishing cast frames which I suspect may have come from China and I did not see examples of the hand work which at least some of them are capable

cheers mooncoon
 
I'm going to start this one up again. can anyone steer me in the right direction for a custom muzzleloader maker who makes guns at a great deal? I'm on a budget($700) and looking for a smooth bore fowler at a barrel length less than 30" and at .62 caliber or larger. it could be considered a canoe gun, but definitions can be tricky. needs to be flintlock and the stock being made of a dependable hardwood, not garbage like the Teak the Indians use on their "guns".
you people can call me cheap, but this is all I can afford at the moment and I'm wanting a gun that I can use as a shotgun, not a rifle. thanks for the future replies.

Don't sell teak wood short. It was good enough for the decks of aircraft carriers into the 1950's.
 
Back
Top Bottom