What is your go anywhere do anything rifle?

So jealous.. What a great rifle. If you want better performance from a cup and core it needs to be bonded IMHO. Even then a bone strike can create a detonation at close range. Unfortunately that rifle can't shoot coppers of the same weight. Copper is the new thing I know.. but man it's cool when you see it perform.. Seriously so jealous.. Would have been ecstatic to help with that hunt.. Love my canoe trips.. Cheers
Those Speer impact are supposedly bonded. I don’t consider 180-190m close range that said I don’t consider that long range either hahaha.
As for copper I’ve used monolithic bullet on and off for years more than 20 years.
As for the canoe hunt that is the only thing I do for moose, I have a 22’ freighter to… but I like the canoe better
 
With the rifle above I got this yesterday
View attachment 1210879
View attachment 1210878
I was using a 190gn Speer impact… I had great expectations for that bullet but I’m not sure I will use it again, made a big mess, I found the bullet or what was left of it so I need to weigh it and see how much weight it lost…
Love it. What could be a more classically authentic northern hunt than going after a moose-bull in a canoe with a vintage walnut-stocked rifle? Fantastic! This is hunting.
 
Well thank you, we are pretty fortunate to get to do this every year for “free”.
I wouldn’t do it any other way at least for now!! When I’m 80 I might decide that lining my loaded canoe up stream for any length of time is not fun anymore, but until then that’s the way we do it!
 
Well thank you, we are pretty fortunate to get to do this every year for “free”.
I wouldn’t do it any other way at least for now!! When I’m 80 I might decide that lining my loaded canoe up stream for any length of time is not fun anymore, but until then that’s the way we do it!

It sounds like a great way to do it and well done on your part!

Been daydreaming of puttin a jon boat on a lake and calling for a weekend too and seeing if anything walks out here.

The only rifle I have with me at the moment thats sighted and ready to go is a USRAC Win 70 Classic Sporter in 30-06 I bought way back and sold to my best bud when I first moved off for school. Joint custody was part of the deal jk.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
Is this a serious question?

I didn't buy, sell, trade, modify and experiment with hundreds of guns for 50+ years just so that I could shoot everything everywhere with the same dang one.
 
little late to the party but I wouldn't be missing any sleep packing my Tikka T3x in 300WM loaded with woodleigh weldcore 180's or 200gr partitions. Or even its 7 mag brother loaded with 160 trophy bonded bear claw's. Nope wouldn't lose any sleep at all.
 
I call it my short mag 006, 300wsm 19" barrel 165s at 3000fps. Not light but under 8lb loaded, 38" in length. Go's anywhere, often carry it in one hand like I'm carrying a pistol.
 
Well thank you, we are pretty fortunate to get to do this every year for “free”.
I wouldn’t do it any other way at least for now!! When I’m 80 I might decide that lining my loaded canoe up stream for any length of time is not fun anymore, but until then that’s the way we do it!
Wonderful. When i was in my 30's living in a cottage in remote town on a river i used to occasionally, instead of driving into town for groceries, paddle my canoe the distance, which was around 25 kilometers upstream. I'd ditch it on a little island under a bridge in town, wade to shore and get supplies. Do the easy trip back fishing along the way. I just refurbished that same 16' canoe and am thinking of going on a few bear hunts on a local lake with it.
 
Wonderful. When i was in my 30's living in a cottage in remote town on a river i used to occasionally, instead of driving into town for groceries, paddle my canoe the distance, which was around 25 kilometers upstream. I'd ditch it on a little island under a bridge in town, wade to shore and get supplies. Do the easy trip back fishing along the way. I just refurbished that same 16' canoe and am thinking of going on a few bear hunts on a local lake with it.
This is livin’ 👍
 
I like to grab this one often, Tikka T3x Lite SS 260 Rem

8WbUDG2.jpeg
 
Cartridge selection, for some reason, jumps to the forefront when hashing out “all around” do anything rifles. While it’s important, it should be way down the list of importance.

Function should always be right up there. Function in virtually any condition. A rifle that maintains zero in these situations is also far more important than cartridge selection.

Mine is a rifle built on a left hand Granite Mountain Arms G33-40 Mauser action. The bolt handle has been replaced with one that is more swept to the rear than their standard handle configuration. The entire action including the magazine box assembly is milled from billet steel. No sheet metal or pot metal parts. It holds five 30-06 rounds in the magazine.

The scope mounts on the rifle are also each a single piece of steel milled into one solid mount. They are bored on the receiver and then the top haves split from the bottom. The stock is made by McMillan for a Winchester Model 70 and has been highly modified to fit the Mauser. Scoped it weighs 1/2 oz less than 8lbs.

Is all of that necessary? I doubt it. But gee it’s nice to run a rifle that never bobbles and points right where you are aiming. Goes bang every time etc. I have a Winchester Model 70 7MM RM that has been drug everywhere that is the same.

DUEalQK.png
 
Steyr Scout in .308 with the 10-round magazine extension kit. Outfitted with a "Ching Sling," a 5-round ammo carrier mounted to the stock, and a Nightforce NSX 2-10X32mm optic (a dated, but still serviceable telescopic sight). One day, I'd like to replace it with a 1-6, or 1-8x 24 mm tube. I also have a Leupold 1.5-4X IER "Scout" scope. As much as I love the Scout Rifle concept, I've just never been able to get on side with the forward-mounted scope. It works, but there are better options these days.

The Steyr has an integral bipod (it's crappy, but functional) and a magazine carrier in the stock. With the magazine in the stock, one in the rifle, and 5 rounds in the stock-mounted ammo carrier, the rifle holds 25 rounds. Things are really going south for you if you're a civilian and you need more than 25 rounds of .308.
 
Back
Top Bottom